My 156 has a noisy roof lining :/ - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 07-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire
My 156 has a noisy roof lining :/

I have recently become the extremely proud owner of a 156 M-Jet Sport 16v and there are a couple of issues present. This post concerns the roof lining which sounds like a box of rice crispies most of the time. It crackles and at first I attributed this to shrinking or expansion of the material or leather seats after being left unused for a while by the last seller. However this problem persists throughout long journeys and is intermittently a pain in the bottom. I'm not sure even whether it stops briefly or I get so used to it that I block it out... When a passenger places their hand on the lining it stops though. The dealership is a 3 hour round journey away and they offered ominously to 'put some padding in', however I'm worried that this might damage the car or look untidy. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
second this - same car - same problem!

my intention is to drop the roof lining at some point and stuff some light weight wadding in there, shouldnt be visible to naked eye and not thick enough to make any difference to appearance.

just need to find time to do it after having recently moved house thats taking something of a priority. seems to do it right above my head as well, if I press on ceiling with hand again it stops.

another annoying thing I find is that nearside rear window if it is wound completely up tight to roof (eleccy window) it rattles, if you just blip the button down so it moves only a milimeter, no more rattle!

true alfa style )
AO Gold Member
County: Durham

Member car:

159 TI 2.2

Mmm, new one on me?
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

I don't have the noise but I have got some plastic that keeps poking out in a couple of places and looks unsightly. I keep pushing it back in but it reappears. I assume the same plastic is the cause of the noise as the headlining expands/contracts???

Are you sure it is coming from the head lining?
It's just that there is a common problem with all 156's in time... I have had this problem on two of mine.

It sounds like a mix of someone has stuffed bubble wrap or eating a bowl of rice crispies in the car and it appears as if it is coming from just above your right ear is this correct?

Due to sound transference it took me a while to find it but it was the upper front and rear window seals... They go hard with age and start to rub against the metal of the door frame on the inside of the seal.

The solution I came up with was to slowly prise the seals out with the windows fully down.

Use insulating tape along the leading edge of the metal frames.
Spray the inner part of the rubber seals with 3 in 1 silicon lubricant spray.
After you have sprayed them, gently flex the seals back and forth to get them malliable again and refit back in position ... Job done
While you are at it do the same to the outer window seal that runs along the top of the door, not the frame... Just be careful not to twist it though, it has a thin metal strip that goes out of shape easily.
It used to be bloody annoying as the car was lovely and quite otherwise... I owned my first 156 a further two years without this noise coming back in that time. My latest 156 had the very same noise and issue... Did that right away 3 month ago... still hasn't returned
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

156 Diesel Sport

had exactly the same on my 156 sport
traced to rear passengers side roof lining,prised lining down slightly and noise has gone since,think maybe a fastening clip had come adrift.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , lining , noisy , roof