WanLi Tyres. Are they really that bad? - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Platinum Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Rules come into place November 2012 and rules become stricter by 2016 is how I'm reading it.

Seems to correlate with this

Trackday tyres to be outlawed | Car News | evo
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Originally Posted by r11co View Post

That's an oxymoron. Basically what you have said is the ability for a tyre to stay on the road has nothing to do with grip?

I'm actually getting a bit fed up with the blind ignorant prejudice and dogged negative comments people express about 'budget' tyres simply because they feel it is the norm to do so.

I've just managed to get a bargain on a pair of Courier Monza tyres to replace the Avons on the front of my GT - 105 for two 215 45 17s. However, I've already had one comment somewhere else saying Couriers are 'Asian budget ditchfinders' and I'd have been better getting Bridgestones or Pirellis for an Italian car.
There is a difference between shifting water to allow the tyre to touch the road, and the amount of grip it provides when it does so.

The compound plays the biggest part in grip once it does touch the road, an the tread in clearing the water.

Budget tyres either tend to be really soft to provide good grip without using an expensive compound, that makes these types wear fast. Others such as Wanli's are really hard. This makes them quiet and hardwearing but does wet grip no favours.

Better tyres with superior compounds are better at gripping as well as being hard wearing.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall.
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 selespeed

seen this thread up for a while but seen some real odd stuff.

When I 1st got my c class coupe c230 last may It had goodyears allround i do alot of miles and by no means drive like im driving mrs Daisy so the rear ones wore quite quickly so too it to my mate at rsr and told him im not rich, hate run flats but need something decent to replace the worn ones.

When i came back he said its ready hit me with a reasonable bill of 132 inc mates rate for two 205/50/17s i then got home and realized they were wanli's if im honest 12000 miles later i couldnt moan still loads of tread no noise no odd wear would go for them again.

My mate later told me that wanli tyre's are only below standard when you get the smaller 13-14inch or really low profile ones.

hope that helps lol
County: -

Member car:

Originally Posted by antman147 View Post
i then got home and realized they were wanli's if im honest 12000 miles later i couldnt moan still loads of tread no noise no odd wear would go for them again.
What? You mean you haven't had a life-threatening experience every one of those 12,000 miles. Funny that!

Back on the subject of the new EU 'S Mark' rules. The article being bandied about implies that it'll be the Far Eastern tyres that will fall foul of the regs (and this is being misconstrued and welcomed by forum commentards as meaning the end of 'ditchfinders') when really what is being proposed is that every tyre will have to become a super-hard, low rolling resistance 'eco' tyre of the type Continental, Michelin and a few other Eurocentric manufacturers have on their product list and peddle as fuel and planet saving devices.

These same eco tyres any road-tester will tell you are absolutely shocking for grip.
AO Member
County: Norfolk
i once had some cheapies on, autogrip's or something, when on the back they were scary, slightly damp road and a roundbout didn't mix. many atime the back end broke traction, i had to put them on the front in the end just so i knew what they were doing. they squeel at the slightest hint of "gunning it on corners" lol

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bad , tyres , wanli