Wipers not working 99% of the time, noisey.. Is the motor shot? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Wipers not working 99% of the time, noisey.. Is the motor shot?

Hi everybody,

Recently my wipers developed a strange noise when they were in use, like loud humming sound..

They stopped working completely a few days ago and I tried lots of times to get them to come on. Today they came on just when I needed them, when it was pouring down and I couldn't see.. The humming sound is present still and I know they probably won't work next time I try.

Mine is a 2000 156 Twin Spark, I'm figuring my motor is dying so I've looked on ebay and found 2nd hand motors and linkage for 25, but will this fit? As some mention having different pin configs..

But before I go and waste money, is there anything else it is likely to be? Do wiper motors slowly die or do they just die.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
Try cleaning all the electrical contacts and shine them up to silver again rather than the dull grey!?

Last edited by EauRouge; 06-09-11 at 11:08.
They can do both, die slowly and just die...
Eau Rouge is spot on although with it being noisy it sounds like the motor is dying a death.....

Don't waste money... Try cleaning the contacts as Eau Rouge has suggested... If it's still no better go to a local breakers yard source a 156, they are all they same linkage and motor.... Just be mindful that connections on post 2002 are different.... Or..... If you can't find a 156... Try a Fiat Marea... Exactly the same linkages/ motor right down to the magneti Marrelli part numbers and often a tenner cheaper... Because it didn't come out of an Alfa!
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 07-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
I went out with a can of WD40 to lube it up but as soon as I opened the bonnet I realised it's going to require some taking apart to get at so I left it for the time being.. Is this a big job?
Not really mate.... The difficult bit is actually removing the wiper arms from their splines. They tend to sieze on.

Here is a quick run down.

Remove the plastic end caps carefully that sit at the bottom of the wiper arms, there is a small gap that you can get a small flat head screwdriver in, they will pop upwards.

Remove both securing nuts that attach the arms to the spindles.

Give the spindles a quick spray with the WD40 and leave it to work for 10 minutes.

Gently but firmly pull the arm up towards you around the spindle while giving it a wiggle.

Same again for the other side.

There are two big plastic screw caps either side of the bottom corners of the wind screen, remove them.
Remove the foam blocks either corner of the engine bay near the bonnet hinges.

Remove the thick rubber seal engine bay seal that runs along the bottom off the scuttle panel.
Now simply unscrew the retaining screws for the plastic scuttle panel, it comes in two halves and if IIRC you only need to remove the drivers side half

Dont worry about you windscreen washer jets just gently lift the plastic scuttle panel away for now.

IIRC there is only three securing bolts for the entire wiper mechanism and motor.

Remove them and unclip the multiplug (it can be fiddly). Now simply push down , twist and the whole linkage and motor will slip out...

Re- fit a new/ used item in reverse order.
Usually about 30 minutes worth of work

If you are cleaning up the connections.
There is usually a plastic bag cover over the motor assembly and a flat plastic cap that needs to be removed in order to get to the motor's cycle ring... This is what needs cleaning up... it will become self explanatory when you see it...So don't worry, its not that bad

Hope this helps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

99% , motor , noisey , shot , time , wipers , working