Hey all, thought I should share this with you. I've searched the forums and only found one mention of this for something else, so hopefully I'm not repeating anything
Having recently bought my 147 with a 1.9 JTD engine, I soon discovered it had a 2.5 inch long split on the top turbo hose which had been covered by black electrical tape by the seller (yes, live and learn n all that).
Right now I don't want to fork out £90 or whatever for a new hose, so decided to try and fix it. Initially I tried an exhaust bandage, which worked for about 50 miles before it came loose. Fail.
So, I went to Plan B. Following a post on another forum, but with a slight change. Basically I found a local shop that sells Kraken self-fusing silicone tape, and got hold of some 25lb fishing line.
First, clean the hose, and then apply the Kraken tape as per instructions (stretch it and overlap it, very important!). Then wrap the fishing wire tightly and closely around it. Follow that with another application of the Kraken tape. The tape seals in a couple of minutes, but they recommend leaving it overnight.
The result (so far at least) is a fully sealed turbo hose. I've taken the car out and given it ample chance to split - which was fun
and it shows no signs of giving way.
The fishing wire is probably not needed because on further reading I found out the tape, once fused and set, can withstand upto 700 psi.
I now get an awesome surge of power about 750rpm sooner than I was getting, better fuel economy and no cloud of black smoke when I put my foot down. Best £16 I've ever spent!
Hopefully that will save someone some of their hard earned cash.