Cambelt Tensioner Advice (no locking tools) GT 1.9 JTD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 31-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

2005 GT 1.9 JTD

Cambelt Tensioner Advice (no locking tools) GT 1.9 JTD

Having looked across the forums for advice on changing the cambelt i decided to attempt this job yesterday, without the advised locking tools. The guides on the forum were a great help however, having now replaced both the waterpump and full cambelt kit i have a problem, as i cant seem to get the belt itself to tighten to what i'd consider a suitable level with the new tensioner.

Have i made an error not spending circa 100 buying the locking set, for just the one use? Is this needed to get full tension on the cambelt?

The engine turns over by hand fine and both crank and cam pulley marks realign perfectly each time however i get the impression the belt needs to be tighter. Have also turned the engine over and all seems fine, however i'd like some reassurance (or concerns) from you lot first before i reassemble and test drive.......any help really appreciated!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Hi Matt,
I changed the timing belt, water pump etc on my car Dec 09 at 54000 miles. I invested 95 for the Sealy engine locking kit. I would not have done the job without it......I'm not much of a gambler.
I also made full use of my torque wrench when installing the tensioner and pulley. You appear to have your doubts so I would recommend that you see if you can borrow a kit just to be positive that everything is as it should be. If my memory is correct, the tensioner has to lined up by hand initially. Don't take this as gospel......I don't have my manual to hand at the moment.
Hope all goes well for you.

AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , cambelt , jtd , locking , tensioner , tools