Hi, I did my cambelt today on my 1.9 GT with the aid of this guide and others - thanks John for your guide, it helped a lot.
There are a few things that I would like to add as it is quite an easy job to do if things go well, I thought I would list some of the things that I struggled with.
1. removal of the cam covers - I used torx bits that were ok but too long in some areas, you need a set of grips here to hold onto the head and undo these, there is also one hidden screw above the engine mount that holds the top two covers in place.
2. Removing the engine mount was hard, the two normal bolts were easy but the Torx screw was very tight, I had to use a pair of mole grips and adjustable spanner holding onto the same bit to move this.
3. The water pump was a real pain and the result of many marks on my hand and the snapping of a good quality 6mm alan key. In the end I used an alan key with a spanner to increase leverage and a set of mole grips on the head, pushing both at the same time - all three bolts had lock nut in them!
(I did not do the hose removal as stated above, just took the water pump out and let the fluid drain out)
4. I had the tools for locking the cam and crank, other posts state that you can do it without but I was glad I had bought these. I had set the white lines on the belt in line with the marks on the cogs and then tensioned the belt. When rotated twice and locking the cam aging the crank was out by one tooth. I did this twice and started to think that I had the wrong belt! The issue was that there was not enough tension between the cam and crank wheel allowing them to move. Third time round I used the crank too and ensured that the belt between the cam and crank was very tight. two revolutions later it all lined up with the tools in place - this could not be checked without the tools - not good!
4. All went well until it came to getting the auxiliary belt back on - the cause of even more cuts and bruises!
I could turn the tensioner to the maximum range to loosen the belt but this was not enough to get the belt back on (all sites say that this is the hardest bit and it was1).
In the end I used a piece of 4x2 across the bulk head and a piece of rope attached to the end of the spanner to hold the tensioner at full extension. The belt still would not fit so I held it over the crank pulley and got somebody else to rotate the crank and it went on like you do with a bike chain.
It all went fine after this and the information in this link is good. I just thought the above would assist others. I have a good selection of heavy duty tools, if you don’t have these then I recommend that you let somebody else do the hard work!
All in it did cost me £170 including antifreeze, I could have got it done for £275 at my local Alfa specialist (Ital Autos) who are very good but I have saved £100