Selling up - 2.4 JTD Veloce - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Selling up - 2.4 JTD Veloce

Right time has come when I need to sell my 2.4 JTD Veloce (due to arrival of first child which necessitated the purchase of a large estate to carry the associated stuff around!).

Now the reason for this post is to get some advice from folks as to how far to go in tidying it up for sale

It's a 2001 2.4 JTD 10V Veloce saloon in Fantasia Blue. Has the 16" teledials, skirts, full Momo black leather interior etc etc.

Now I bought it originally as a cheap project / get-me-around car when I took my elise off the road to rebuild it.

I bought it off it's second owner (first owner was a company) with 157k on the clock (guy commuted 120 motorway miles a day!), and it needed some work. It came with a Alfa service history from the first owner upto ~100k, then independent from there on.

Clutch was replaced at 136k.

When I bought it at 157k, I replaced the cam belt and tensioner, water pump, auxiliary belt and all tensioners (it was squealing like a pig!). I gave it a full service (all fluids, filters etc etc). It has subsequently been serviced again at 169k and now at 180k is due another service.

I've replaced the front upper wishbones that were knocking, together with the droplinks, 4k miles ago. It's also had the front grill replaced ("chrome" was peeling) and the front Alfa badge (which had gone silver), and the rear window motors (which had seized). It's also had new handbrake cables (one of them snapped). Also overhauled the gearchange mechanism as it didn't self-centre very well.

It runs fine, and the engine pulls strongly.

Interior is mint, apart from some signs of wear on the steering wheel and gear knob.

Exterior is generally good, and comes up lovely with a polish. However the top rear corner of the driver's door has a crease/dent in it. And one of the fog lamps is smashed (again! don't ask me how many of these I've replaced!)

The MOT has now expired, and the only thing I'm aware of that needs doing (after a quick look) is the N/S inner CV gaitor (worst case the joint itself).

Now I want a MOT on it to sell it, so will obviously do the mechanical work to get this.

Question is how far do I go in tidying it up cosmetically... I could source a replacement drivers door in the correct colour and swap this over. I could also source a new fog light. Maybe freshen up the alloys with a lick of paint. Etc etc. But how much is worth investing in it and how much will this recoup?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers Matt
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

id just get it through MOT ....... leave the rest to do for new owner..... honest cars are best in my opinion ...would you gain any more value doing alloys ,door unless its tottaaly different colour than rest of car mind
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

156 JTD M-Jet

Absolutely. Too many people are scared of big miles and those of us who aren't tend to be more philosophical about signs of age, particularly when you know you are probably going to be the last real owner. I would rather have mechanically sound tbh.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

jtd , selling , veloce