Immobilizer malfunction on 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 24-08-11 Thread Starter
County: Kent
Help Immobilizer malfunction on 156

I have had a couple of major issues over the last two years: first, I had to have a new ECU and now the immobiliser is malfunctioning. After the problem started I took the car to the local main Alfa dealer where I was advised that I needed a new immobilizer unit. But worse than that I was also advised that the appropriate immobilizer unit is no longer manufactured. I am able to start the car by entering the code via use of the accelerator pedal (as per the handbook) but this can be an issue if the car stalls in certain motoring situations. Is there a source for out-of-production parts and what are the implications if a new unit is obtained; ie what other parts will be required to ensure that the various sections of the system co-operate?
Dave S
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0 T-Spark

A mate of mine had a similar issue with an old renault he had. It would keep failing even after having 2 new units fitted. In the end he took it to an auto electrician and had the unit bypassed all together. Might be worth looking at?
AO Gold Member
You can get a complete second hand key+barrel (or just the chip), with the Code box and ECU. I've got a few, but they do vary a bit depending on what year and model you have - Selespeed is different from manual, for example, and the CF2 and CF3 are different, of course.

It can be worth just basic checks, of course - unplug and reconnect a few times the aerial wire from the ignition barrel into the code box, and the plug that goes from the code box to the ECU. This can cure many a problem, or it could be worth replacing the aerial wire in case this is the cause. These sort of things are often overlooked by dealers as the time to de-bug the problem is too great - easier to just throw new bits at it in the hope of curing the problem.......(IMHO, other dealers are available, etc)

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Member
County: Suffolk

This worked for me (GTV V6).

1/ find the code box
2/ identify the connector from the ignition barrel (the smaller of two)
3/ unplug and clean (if you can get at the box to unplug!!) or press/jiggle etc. to improve the contact.

No problems so far - all credit to Jamie Porter at Alfaworkshop - star man!
AO Member
County: Antrim

Member car:

Alfa 156

I had a Merc sprinter and when I changed the stereo the immobiliser kicked in. I got a mechanic out and he cut the immobiliser out and bypassed it some way and the van went the best after that. Not sure if you can do it on the Alfa but worth finding out

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , immobilizer , malfunction