Anyone fitted a towbar to a 156? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Anyone fitted a towbar to a 156?

I bought one 2nd hand a while back and had a quick look to see how it fitted and it looked as if I would be drilling the boot floor, There were no mounting holes apparent. I can see the back box will need to come off to facilitate any fettling but has anyone experience of fitting a tow bar to a 156? I would be happier if I didnt need to take a drill to my boot floor!

Any advice lads? btw I dont need any comments about desecrating my car with a tow bar, it hurts, believe me
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Monmouthshire
I fitted one to my SW, it was fairly straightforward. Didn't take the exhaust or even the bumper off... there are spacers and load bearing plates with the Witter bar I fitted. I haven't towed anything with mine, I wanted the bar for a motorcycle trials bike. It works fine, I haven't fitted electrics yet, am trying to find out if there is a factory fitted electrics kit as there is a multi plug under the carpet....

As I recall, you need to strip out all the rear carpets and boot liners, then hold the bar up (helps if theres two). I was glad that I had a pit to work in, and ended up with a plank and a trolley jack holding the bar up to be drilled, then fitted the load bearing plates. About 2 hours start to finish......

AO Silver Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

156 2.0TS

I did one on the 147 the other day but slightly different on 156, electrics are the same though. You need to drill some holes in spare wheel well and a few on top. There is a marker hole or dimple on the tow hitch that lines up on body but dont drill it, thats the mistake we made.

Last edited by CroBaron; 23-08-11 at 07:57.
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
Google the manufacture of you tow bar and you should find fitting instructions.
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
westfalia towbar fitting instructions

a cone or step cutter will be the best tool for cutting the holes.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Fitted a towequipe one to my wagon this summer. Yep you have to drill the holes but it is easy with a drill and a metal hole cutter. Took most of the day as I was fiddling about but didn't have to remove the exhaust or make a cut in the bumper
AO Silver Member
I have no useful info, my 156 saloon had a bar fitted before I bought it.
never used it, it was never used by last owner, and the week I decided to remove it 2 people rolled into the back of me!
one guy yapping on phone went up me at the lights (auto rolling)
woman took her foot off brake at lights (auto rolling)

so no damage at all but annoying and I kept the bar!
But I imagine a big bump would leave you worse off, as the bumper wont take the hit, the boot floor etc will instead.
Right got my finger out tonight and had a proper look. The tow bar assy. is Witter, they have no fitting instructions on the site so I emailed them.

on the fitting side of things I think I have it sussed, have a step drill and all the gubbins. its just I need a second opinion before I start hacking lumps out of my boot floor!

From what I gather all of you have fitted to a SW 156 mine is a saloon and I must remove the back box to enable marking up and drilling (I cant do all of it from the boot) also the right side of my tow bar mounts to a box section underneath the car but is bolted through the boot. I'd need a really long dril to do it one go or very carefull measurements to make sure the bolt hole in the boot lines up with the one underneath on the box section.

watch this space.... Unless you have advice that is!
AO Gold Member
County: Down in the Park
no need to remove the backbox, I didn't on my saloon either
Got the thing done today finally. I got away with dropping the back box off the runners so I could get in with my hole punch. Once it was all marked up it wasn't too bad actually, just daunting drilling such big holes in my boot. I took the precaution of sealing it all up with tec7.

Problem was I had bolts missing and a couple of the sleeves that go through the box section on each side once I made these bits up and got a bag full of bolts I was away! Our lass was a bit precedes anoit helping me do up the bolts thougj. Just need to connect the bypass for the lights tomorrow and I'm done.

Thanks for the advice chaps. I took a picture not of my labours but the fruits of it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0039.jpg (42.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by propellorhead; 28-08-11 at 20:05.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , fitted , towbar