147 Rear Brakes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 22-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
147 Rear Brakes

Right daft question but how do I remove the rear brake pads i've done a fair few brake changes before and its just a case of releasing the piston usually with one securing bolt so you can swing it up pop out old pads pop in new ones then wind back piston jobs a goodun but so far i'm stumped I can see 2 13mm bolts on the caliper and 2 16mm (maybe) bolts on the inside of the hub any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance guys
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
There are two slider pins on the calipers - the 13mm bolts screw into them - you'll need to hold the slider pins with a 15mm spanner while you undo the 13mm bolts. Once they are out the caliper will come off, tho you are restricted by the handbrake cable. You'll need to wind the piston back in - rotate and press at the same time, before fitting the new pads and re-assembling. Once re-fitted, the correct procedure for setting up the pads goes something like:

Slacked the handbrake cable at the handbrake end, then pump the brakes until the pads touch the disc, then adjust the cable at the handbrake end until it locks at (say) 3 clicks......

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Easier to wind pistion back if you open up the bleed valve and relieve the pressure. I know, did mine yesterday. Thanks goodness for my recently purchased Laser 1314 wind-back tool! Although it was still hard to get n/s to screw back and the tool kept slipping off the caliper!

Also fitted Goodridge hoses that have been lurking in a drawer in the garage for ages. (to rear only at the moment, will do fronts soon), and changed o/s handbrake cable that was badly corroded, worn where the clip had come off under the tank and didn't want to move much. This is caused brakes to bind slightly wearing pad out on drivers side. So new pads (Mintex) and rear discs.

The Mintex pads came with a peel off sticker. Underneath some sort of transparent tape on the pad backing plate. Trying them for now without copperslip or the Ceratec that came with the pads. If they squeak, then I'll take the caliper off and try the Ceratec.

I'll update my Hints&Tips doc on my greenserpent website very soon ...

HINT: If you are changing the brake hoses try this ... clamp the old hose and undo it at the caliper end. As the caliper was off to change the pads, this made it relatively easy. Fit the new hose to the caliper. Now release the upper end where it connects to the metal pipe, then reconnect the new hose at this end. Result, very little fluid loss.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Last edited by gazza82; 29-08-11 at 11:11.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , brakes , rear