LPG conversion for 1.8ts? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
I have owned a number of LPG cars, mainly Range Rovers where the choice to fit an LPG system was a no brainer, i have fitted both single point and multipoint systems myself and then had them certified at a cost of between 30 and 50 quid.
Never had issues of valve wear or any issues with a very noticable lack of performance.
The only car i have ever had a flash lube system on was a volvo S70 with a 20valve T5 engine which had a factory fitted system in and had the system fitted by the previous owner as a precaution.
I tend to always have more than one vehicle to fulfil my needs, currently a 147 jtd as an economical run around and a toyota estima as my utility long distance load lugger and tow vehicle, although i am currently contemplating another LPG range Rover.

So far the Alfa which replaced my Volvo last december, has cost me a turbo, an intercooler, a lower turbo hose, had egr problems, needs new upper and lower wishbones and i have just sussed the faulty cruise control .... all work done myself and all parts used or trade, but still equating to 450 in under 12 months , plus service kits.

My petrol/lpg Volvo ran for 5 years without missing a beat for no more than a service every 10k miles and was sold with 280k on the clock.

My Estima has 150k on the clock, been driven all over the uk without missing a beat and only ever needed a regular oil and filter change

The only reason my last Rangy and Volvo went is because my local uk gas depot that was 5 mins from me closed and the next nearest fill up without paying motorway prices was 10 miles away, having relocated in June i now have 3 in my local area so considering a petrol/LPG vehicle again.

My conclusion is the same as above, tuned diesels are wonderful to drive when they are running giving you that smug feeling you can blat down the road with the verve of any hot hatch and your still going to average over 40 to the gallon, but when they are not all of that economy goes right out the window!

The only other 2 considerations are, you still have to put in around 20 of petrol every month for that first 2 miles while your engine warms up enough for the LPG to kick in, and at best your car is lucky to be doing 10 mpg when cold , but on the plus side petrol is always at least 3 to 5p a litre cheaper than diesel to begin with.

So, you pay your money and take your choice!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
I've been running my alfa's on LPG for over 15 years with no issues my 75 now on 320000 miles and never had the head off. I currently have a 75 and 2 166's running on LPG.
AO Member
County: Porto

Member car:

147 1.6TS 2001

Hi there,

I have a 1.6TS on LPG.
Taking into account my own experience, as well as the information I have been gathering in my country were LPG is incredibly popular, I say:

When people don't know what they are doing, it is easy to get the wrong impression!
I think this isn't a discussion at all in countrys like Portugal or Italy.
In OUR neck of the woods, "Alfa Romeo stands for LPG", and "LPG stands for Alfa"!!!
There is no better fit!

Now I put it to you:
- Why should I use petrol, instead of a cleaner, cheaper fuel?
- Why should I be forced to by a diesel engine car, when I have an alternative if I'm a petrol head on a budget?

I know what people claim - LPG lacks power, it burns engines... bla bla bla...
Yes! Keep telling yourselfs those myths!! ... and we'll keep on driving the Porsche's, the EVO's, the M5's and the GTA's around here.

Portugal (p/Litre)
Petrol 95 €1,54 (1,32)
Petrol 98 €1,61 (1,38)
LPG €0,66 ( 0,56)

For the sake of argument let's say that your car spends 1l every 10km which is a reasonable amount for a lively driving style.
This means for every 1km, €0,15 are going out the exhaust if your using Petrol 95.
So let's see:

Petrol 95 --- €0,15/km
Petrol 95 --- €0,16/km
LPG --- €0,06/km

If you run 20.000km per year:
Petrol 95 --- €3.000/year
Petrol 95 --- €3.200/year
LPG --- €1.200/year

With the extra €2.000 (1.700) in my pocket each year I can easily choose one of the following:
a) Go on vacation
b) Buy the latest apple products
c) completely rebuild your engine from scratch!

Last edited by MacCross; 27-10-13 at 23:48.
AO Member
County: Porto

Member car:

147 1.6TS 2001

Originally Posted by hdseven View Post
gas is only cheap cos of the duty on it.........the government can increase that at anytime.....it used to be 32p a litre !

have u thought of an oil burner.....mine does 45 urban and 60 on a run

Yes! LPG, Petrol and Diesel, all come from "oil".
But you must keep in mind that for barrel of oil, there is only so much petrol you can extract, more diesel, and more Gas.
So it is not only the tax, but also the productivity/efficiency/saving of the extraction.

When oil prices increase, Petrol, diesel and LPG increases, BUT, there it is unlikely that LPG will ever be half the price of Petrol.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

18ts , conversion , lpg