Clutch, confused, is it worn? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 02-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Clutch, confused, is it worn?

Hi All,

I have noticed that the clutch in my 156 has a bit of play, and I have to put my foot right to the floor to engage (or is that disengage) it.

Basically, I can press it in for the first couple of inches with no resistance at all, and then it has to go all the way to the floor before it will stop me stalling. I've also noticed it grinds a lot when selecting reverse, like I'm changing without the clutch fully in.

Reading other articles on the net, it's said that if the clutch is biting right at the top, then it's worn out, however I'd say this is right at the bottom. Am I reading this wrong, and it is a worn out clutch, or is it maybe low on fluid or something like that?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Devon

Member car:

alfa 156 2.4 jtd

try topping your fluids up and bleed it properly it should help
AO Member
County: Kildare
try to change break fluid.
I got the same problem and changed break fluid today and i feel huge diference
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
If it needs bleading to cure it then air has got in there somehow. The most likley culprit is the slave cylinder which unfortunatly is a gearbox out job to change on your car. If its the clutch itself for the slave cylinder either way it sounds like the box will need to come out.
AO Member
County: Cluj
Had aprox. the same problem on my 147, the clutch was engaging very low (close to the floor) and the pedal was stiff. Changed the master cylinder and bled the system ... a bit of improvement. Checked for leaks ... none. Did the brakes and replaced all the fluid, bled the system again ... a bit of improvement again. Went to a different garage for the classical power steering leak and the guys said that they can check the state of the clutch for free as long as if it needed replacing I'll give them the job. They took the box out and surprise surprise the pressure plate had a third of the "spokes" broken and the clutch disc was quite worn, it still had a couple thousand miles in it but needed replacing. So, 250 later, new clutch disc and pressure plate ... the difference it's huge ... the clutch pedal is now very easy to press and it engages half way.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clutch , confused , worn