Speedo stopped working, not ABS related - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Alfa 156 v6

Speedo stopped working, not ABS related

Hi guys, I am new to this site, I owned a 156 v6 before, loved it, crashed it, so have been driving around in a vw bora 2.8 4motion before getting myself back into the 156 groove! I bought one off eBay sold as seen a few days ago and have sorted most of the problems so fr myself (topping up battery fluid, sorting central locking out, boot not opening etc...) but one thing that still confuses me is the speedo.

Apparently there was nothing wrong with the speedo when the previous owner last used it, but it had been sitting unused for a few months (therefore battery drained etc...). The speedo now does not work, does not go above 0mph etc, absolutely no movement but all the other instrument cluster things work, lights, tacho, gauges etc...(obviously no trip meter registering).

I thought at first it could be ABS related, as I think the speedo runs off the ABS unit? But all the ABS fuses and fault lights are ok. I then thought it might be to do with the battery output power due to it getting flat, but I've topped up the battery with distiller water, and it is fully charged an working fine now.

The last thing I think I need o check is to remove the instrument
Cluster and see if it's dodgy wiring, but am unsure how to remove the cluster for inspection.

Could someone tell me a) how to remove the cluster and b) if there might be something else wrong to cause this problem?

Cheers, james
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
One screw to remove the cowl, its at the 12 o clock position. Once thats out of the way its two screws to remove the rev counter. For easier access pull the steering wheel out towards you as far as it will go.

I can't say I've heard of this on a 156 but its a common problem on the GTV, and is 99% of the time down to the ABS module.

Would be easy to swap speedos with someone to see if it fixes the problem.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 25-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Alfa 156 v6

I've not even been under the car yet, so will double check the ABS module looks in working order etc... And I will get at the cluster tonight.

If somethign went wrong with the ABS, surely the warning light would come on? If it didn't then perhaps it is njust not detecting the pulses, perhaps the sensor may have moved too far from the ABS 'serated disk'? Is that what the normal problem is on GTV's? or does the whole ABS module go and warning lights come on?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

abs , related , speedo , stopped , working