Power Steering Pump Removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Power Steering Pump Removal

On my recently acquired 156 s/w 1.6 the whine that came with the car proved not to be the cambelt or aux belt or associated idlers and tensioners. They've all been changed.
I have obtained a used power steering pump and pipes but getting the old pump out isn't simple it seems.
Once the pulley has been removed and the reservoir moved to one side the two front bolts come out easily enough. However the two at the back look very inaccessible and are possibly allen bolts.
You can just see the rearmost one but the front one's invisible.
So the question for the techy experts (there must be some) is do you have to remove the injection plenum chamber to access these bolts? If so - bu**er (as in gg).
Also if so then what are the best pliers for reattaching the factory fitted clips on the inlets. I don't like the look of jubilee clips which are a bit too clunky looking.

1969 Duetto | 1995 164 3.0 24v | 2001 166 3.0 24v
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 21-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Just a quick update.
On examining the "new" pump I realised that there are three bolts at the pully end. I had missed one and when this was removed it released the pump. It now looks like it will push back through the engine mount and can be removed upwards from there once the pipes have been removed.
Of course I drained the reservoir using a large syringe before I started but I am sure there will be plently of oil left in the pump and pipes ready to drench the alternator which lurks below.
I will do an update when I have advanced it a little further.
I was surprised how little had been written about how to do this job so hopefully this be useful in the future.
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire
you will have lots more room to work if you remove the inlet manifold. its a pain doing it but its alot easier.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

power , pump , removal , steering