fast way to change top wishbones on 156 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: Dumfries and Galloway
in a way i kinda wish i had thought about turning the bolt around, would make future changes a little easier but hey.
maybe next time, which i hope is a long way away!
for mine i actually bought new arms and polybushed them before removing old suspension so it was quicker to change. the upper arms that i took off the car were completely shagged. the ball joint could be moved around easily and not in a good way if you get my drift.
if i was doing again i think i would probably do the same thing again, unless the ball joint felt good when removed.

Running Spec: 2003 156 GTA Rosso 330's, Drilled/grooved discs, AL Lrg Mocal Cooler, Fully Polybushed F&R, Powerflex/Strongflex, AL Blk Silicone induction hose, K&N replacement filter, Scorpion exhaust. Eibach arb's, Red Silicone coolant hoses & induction pipes, Meyle droplinks, CF2, Wizard pipes, Weichers strut brace, Quaife

2002 156 Sportwagon 2.4JTD
Sponsored Links
County: -

Member car:

156 2.4 lusso

Hi sorry I know this is an old thread I've got knocking from front n/s I've bought top n bottom wishbone set from eBay planning on doing it myself I'm no mechanic but I'm not daft my question is how likely is it that the nuts/bolts will be seized and need burning off or drilled out and how can I tell where the knock is coming from I don't have a car lift so anything to be done would need to be at ground level I'd rather not have to do the bottom arms if i can help it
Thanks Darren
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
The only bolts you're likely to have trouble with are the droplink bolts. If yours are the old type with no flat on the spline the only way to hold the spline still is to use an allen key in the hole in the end of the spline, these round off easily. You may have to get the hacksaw out or mole grips, either way you'll neen new droplinks.

Having said that if, as described in this thread, the long bolt through the upper wishbone has been fitted the wrong way round you only have to remove the wheel arch liner, split the upper balljoint and then remove the bolt. You won't have to touch the droplinks.

Before fitting the new upper wishbone remove the metal top hat collar, grease the bushes prior to fitting.

Good luck with it, some of the 'no name' eBay kits are of poor quality and fail early, even with the greasing. Some members have been unable to fit cheap lower wishbones owing to alignment problems. Even with good quality wishbones (Delphi, TRW, Birth) you'll have difficulty first time, they really don't look like they're going to fit.

Prior to tightening the bolt through the suspension fork and lower wishbone, put a jack under the hub and raise it to a point where the arm would normally be at rest with the wheel on.

Good luck.

Loose - not close, compact, or tight in structure or arrangement
Lose - to part with or come to be without, as through theft, accident, negligence, etc.
AO Member
County: Victoria
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
I've never taken the inner wing shield out ... and I've changed the wishbones four or five times.

I take the lower fork bolt out and release the a/r bar, and drop the strut down onto the lower arm. Then remove the four nuts from the strut mount, and take the mount and arm of in one .. it will wiggle over the strut bolts.

Replace the arm, put the mounting back up into the wing and loosely bolt it in place. Jack up the strut very slowly, move the strut mounting bolts so they pass through the holes and again loosely replace the nuts. Then torque it all back together again.

There is a guide on my greenserpent site ..
And an excelletn guide too.. Having used it twice now - well the second time was from memory.. it was very easy.. about 30 - 40 mins per side.. probably faster if your competent.. which I'm not.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , change , fast , top , wishbones