Squealing / creaking at high speed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Squealing / creaking at high speed

Alright, so here's my problem (after a few relatively quiet months): my Alfa is doing a strange squeal / creaking noise at high speeds (e.g. over 150 km/h). I know such speeds are illegal in most places in Europe, but let's not lose focus on the issue at hand.
The noise is not rpm related, but speed related. On my 2.4 20v, 150 km/h corresponds roughly to 3000 rpm in 6th gear - the noise doesn't occur at 3000 rpm or above in any other gear. I don't have any strange noises when the car is idling, except some tick-tack from a broken exhaust bracket (to be fixed soon) and a barely audible noise from the aux belt.
The noise pattern is fairly irregular, sometimes it starts at 150 km/h, sometimes at 160 km/h, sometimes it goes away if I lift my foot off the gas, sometimes not.
From a vehicle state standpoint - water pump, cam belt, tensioner(s), idlers were replaced in January 2010; aux belt, tensioner, idlers were replaced in September 2009; the tires are fairly new (replaced this spring, Kumho KU-32 17", did less than 10k km so far).

Now the most likely culprits are either the engine tray (?) or the sunroof. The noise does seem to go away when I open the sunroof, but I guess it's obvious driving with the sunroof open at 160 km/h is far from ideal. I still can't tell if the noise is gone or it's just drowned in the wind noise when the sunroof is open. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Worcestershire
Do you know what area the sound is coming from? front, back, engine bay, wheel area??? what size tyres are you using? 215 or 225's?
Thanks for the reply.
Can't really pinpoint the source of the noise - seems to come from the front-right area (mind that my car is a LHD), but that might be a subjective perception. Tyres are Kumho KU32 215/45 R 17 91W XL, but I was getting a similar noise with the previous ones (Avon ZV3 225/45 if I remember correctly).
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

squeal / creaking noise at high speeds
I had this once - it was the wife rocking and muttering to herself in fear. It all sorted itself out at the service station after I told her to get lost.

Seriously, not a clue on the issue - could it be a caliper sticking slightly?
1.Engine undertray cover loose?
2.Sunroof , check the drainage system from the front corners of the sunroof down the windscreen pillars towards the front wings. Strange noises happen causing vibration and howling up the pillars at speed. Also check the front leading edge of the sunroof for corrosion, it can cause a leaky air seal. Try temporary duct tape on the sunroof to confirm if the sound still occurs.
3. Inside engine bay near the bonnet hinges two foam sealing blocks, damaged, missing or out of position causing wind rush through corners for the front plastic scuttle panel?
4.Brake disc stone guard bent out of shape and slightly catching on the leading edge of the disc?
5. Foglight bracket loose?
6.Front lower grill bent or out of its clips causing high pitch vibration?
7. loose, vibrating inner plastic wing guard?
8. loose windscreen washer piping under scuttle panel?
9. Bent wiper arm out of shape?
10. wing mirror and backplate bolts and screws loose?
Thought I'd stop by to update in case anyone stumbles upon this in the future.
The creaking part is inside the car, between the headlining and the roof - more accurately, the rear-right corner of the square plastic thing where the rear-view mirror is fixed. Once I push that corner in, the noise goes away, which leads me to believe it's either an air leak from the sunroof which has found some hole causing the whistling inside or a loose plastic part between the headlining and the roof which is vibrating under the action of the said air leak.
Either way, I'm extremely glad it's not one of the more risky options, i.e. a brake caliper or some bearing (or a loose wheel for that matter ).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

creaking , high , speed , squealing