Brakes? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 03-10-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just bought a 156 2.0TS and love it, but the brakes seem a little lacking in feel and power for such a quick car. Is this normal?

The last service receipt from 1500 miles ago suggests checking pads in 6000 miles.

I don't feel the need to make major modifications, but as I will be putting new pads in soon, can anybody recommend any that will give it a bit more bite? Is the lack of feel to do with the pads being worn down? I wouldn't have thought so, but perhaps others have experienced the same thing?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: Brakes?

If you're pads are on the way it' could be that but I'd also have a look at the brake
fluid it should be replaced every 1-2 years and often isn't, Oh and some nice braided
hoses stop brake fade if you think you're going to be into a bit of heavy braking.

People seem to like the ferodo DS2500 pads, but I'm sure people will let you know.

AO Platinum Member

Yep Ferodo DS2500 front pads p/n: FCP1052H
With Ferodo DS-Performance rear pads p/n: FDS995 (** Unless it is a post 2001ish car**)

You will probably find that the discs are close to the limit too, it is normal these days for discs to wear out as quickly as the pads.
The front discs are 22mm thick new and 20mm at fully worn (1mm wear each side).
The rear discs are 10mm new and 9mm at fully worn.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for that. It's an early 2000, so should be the right ones.

I see you've done a Brembo conversion.... were you unhappy with the original set up? What did that lot cost you? I like Brembos... got them on my Ducati!

The car has been dealer serviced from new and I have all the receipts except one. The rear discs and pads were replaced recently, not sure about the front ones without checking through, but I think they're original (72000 miles) or were replaced at 36000 (the receipt I don't have...). Either way would suggest that they need doing now, given your comment. The last receipt warned that pads were wearing and would need checking in 6000 miles (now 4000 miles). Looking through the wheel, they look OK at the moment, although obviously I can only see the outside ones. The disks 'look' OK, but I haven't had a micrometer in there.

Ah... correction. Have just been to have another look and the disks and they have a fair wear lip on the outer edge. Probably not half a mm, but a noticeable ridge. Assuming it's the same on the other side then they must be fairly much through their life. Come on then, guys. If I have to replace disks and pads what do I use? Not too expensive, please.... rather under Alfa prices than over!

Thanks again

Last edited by Stewart156; 04-10-04 at 11:07.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

Winrya has posted a thread mentioning Delphi (Lockhead) parts from which look cost-effective. Early in my car-owning life all my cars had Lockhead brakes and I'm still hear to tell the tale. Assuming of course quality is still high ...

Anyone changed their discs themselves .. from the Repair CD it looks fairly simple.
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

If you don't want to spend too much money don't even think about the Brembo kit - its about 1000 not that I paid that for mine

Biggest improvement will come from using DS2500 pads and good brake fluid.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Guys.

I've just discovered the Red dot discs and 'fast road' pads offered on this site... anyone using them? Are there significant advantages on the road to having more slots in the disc, or does it just machine the pads away faster?

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

spongy brake feel has always been a problem with the 156. get steel-braided hoses. works wonders.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT