Alfa vs. Porsche - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
Re: Alfa vs. Porsche

Originally Posted by squeeler
As for the Boxter... a good example of the dilution of a pedigree
Its for people who like the keyring but havent a clue how to drive a real sports car.
Sorry Squeeler, I know I have shortened your post in the Quote, but I don't think I have altered the context.. (have I), but that is complete !!!!!!..

I haven't had the Pleasure of driving a Boxter, but the Press clearly rate the Boxter S as a damn fine Sports Car, perhaps you could explain why you think it isn't??.

Just because the company also make the 911, shouldn't be a reason to condem it...christ they also make the Ceyanne.. (SP?)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

The TT, Boxter, Merc and BMW in the 40k mark fall into a problem area for me and is perhaps why I/we buy Alfa's. If I had that much cash I would buy a TVR or secondhand Mazarati for example. Although they are "great" cars, well built, fast, handle well etc etc I would be so !!!!ed if I spent 40K on a car and I parked in Tesco to find another one near mine. If you have that kind of cash be different!!!!! We are poor Alfa drivers and we manage it - kind of

I'm sure I see more boxters and TT's on the road than Alfas? Perhaps we are all disillusioned and Alfas are really cr*p. (rhetorical comment, before I get lynched )
AO Member

Member car:

As I have posted many times before about Audi in general & the TT in particular, both the people I know who have owned TTs found them so unreliable that neither of them will ever consider an Audi again.

It`s interesting the prejudice that sometimes emerges about the Boxster on some car forums. Despite some "accepted" wisdom the Boxster S is just about the best traditional sportscar (as opposed to GT) that`s available currently. It is RWD, mid-engined and has a lovely 3.2 flat six that is one of the few contemporary engines that can match the character of an Alfa. It is not based upon the platform of a saloon or hatchback!

As to why you would buy one instead of a TVR or a secondhand Maser` for £40K there are some very good reasons! I`m an Alfa enthusiast rather than a porker person and carefully considered both of these (amongst others) before buying both of my Boxsters. It`s important to note that my £40K is my own money and not the banks or my employers!

1) TVR - It is impossible to look beyond their terminal unreliabilty (AJP engined cars) with around 40% needing an engine rebuild before 30,000 miles! I do 15+K a year in my Porsche so this is a concern. The build quality is also shocking.

Most importantly however is the fact that I enjoy driving and the Boxster S, whilst slower in a straight line, is massively more competent (and quicker) and enjoyable to drive. TVR`s are exciting but really very poorly resolved and ultimately deeply unsatisfying.

Oh , they also depreciate like a brick and cost between 2 and 3 times more to service.

2) Maserati - lovely cars and genuinely well built. I have considered these very carefully and have driven them all (3200/4200) extensively on road and track. The engine in the 4200 is an absolute stunner and the interior is massively attractive in comparison to your average sober German number. They even handle quite nicely and the cambiocorsa flappy gearbox is better than its reputation deserves.

However, your notional £40K will get you inside a 4200 which is part of the problem really. They DEPRECIATE big style and are nigh-on unsellable on the second hand market unless you want to be raped by the official dealers. Your £40K suddenly becomes much more expensive when you realise how little of it you will get back! Oh, and the dealers are Ferrari dealers of course which means even more money oozing away because you are trapped in the official network! If you have the misfortune to have something horrible go wrong out of warranty you might as well sit in a corner and weep!

IMHO, if you are planning to use your car properly you should buy a £40K car with your £40K. The Maserati is a £60+K car that has the running expenses of a £100K car whilst the TVR is a £60K car sold for £40K because they haven`t spent the development budget (oh, and they`re also sh*T!)
my reservations about the cav
AO Member

Member car:

page 179 midland auto trader.porsche boxter 3.2s 2001 model, 23,500 pounds has done 26660 miles REQUIRES ENGINE REPAIR, nothing is certain except people talking how bad other makes of cars are ,if you like it, and can buy, it enjoy it,
AO Member

Originally Posted by ettore
It`s interesting the prejudice that sometimes emerges
Oh , they also depreciate like a brick and cost between 2 and 3 times more to service. (oh, and they`re also sh*T!) my reservations about the cav
Nicely put ettore, ok i take back my opinion on the boxster , the TT no. Now where's that 40k

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , porsche