Newbie about to buy a 147. What to look for?????? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 13-07-11 Thread Starter
County: Leicestershire
Help Newbie about to buy a 147. What to look for??????

Hi Folks

This is a first for me as I've always said I would never buy an Italian car or bike but having just sold a Seat Leon and having read good reports about the 147 I thought I'd take the plunge.

I'm looking at two options: an 06 plate 147 1.6TS Turismo in metallic green with 60,000 miles, full service history with stamps and cambelt change at 42,000 with 1 former keeper for £2,700.

05 plate 147 1.6TS Turismo in metallic gey with 42,000 miles. full service history with stamps with 17 alloys for around £2,500.

So, my question is: which one should I go for and are there any issues that I should pay particular attention to on this model.

Your help would be very much appreciated as I ould love to be converted

Thanks in anticipation of your help.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
In both cases - check just what the full service history means...key thing being the belt change - its due at 36K miles / 3 years, so the 05 car may be due a second one now if the first was done on time, and similarly the 06 one will be due one next year if the change at 42K miles was in 09.....

Needn't be a worry, but factor in around £300 for a belt change and service.

Other than that - check front suspension for creaks and rattles - frequent assaults on speed bumps or potholes can wear the wishbone bushes and anti-rollbar droplinks - most people get used to the squeeks and clunks (that's what the stereo is for) but its worth checking.

Other than that I'd say just usual used car checks, tho its better if you get two keys with the car (replacements are expensive), make sure that if you get one of them you get the locking wheel nut key (if appropriate) and preferably the code for the radio, if its still the original.

Good luck - 147 is much better than a Seat.....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , buy , newbie