Front Driver Side Electric Window - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
Front Driver Side Electric Window

Hi all. Hope someone can help with my frustrating problem!
I have a 156 TS 2.0 on a 51 plate. I have had the usual switch breaking on the drivers front window but have put up with pressing the contact with my finger until recently when it packed in altogether. Now, having read this forum I know that the switches for the windows should be interchangeable so I have swapped one of the back ones for the front one. However, the back one (with the old broken switch) works fine by pressing the contacts but the switch from the back does not work when connected to the front driver window!! I know all the switches actually work as I have tested them with all the other windows. I know its not the fuse as onoy one fuse controls both front windows and the passenger one works fine.
Does this mean I have a bad connection somewhere for the front drivers window - if so how do I find out??
Am I missing something else so obvious I can't see it ???

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire
passenger and rear switches fit into the drivers slot. you wont have one touch but its a much cheaper option to buying a whole switch. i have both in stock pm me if you need anything.
AO Member
County: Norfolk
Good old Fiat problem with front windows.......same with Alfa? If there is a connector which separates the wiring at the door opening my guess is that's where the problem lies. Remove multiplug, apply WD40, and replace. Problem solved? Our Fiat JDT's driver's window problem confused me for ages and that was the problem. Presume all the switches are different - some with x4 and some with x5 wires, white or black bases - but looks like same as Fiat, so try the local scrapyard looking for the more upmarket Brava/Bravo/Marea.
AO Gold Member
Only foolproof way to check is to take the doorcard off, reconnect the switchblock, unplug the connector to the motor and check for power when the switch is operated (there are only two wires, the switch merely connects pos and neg one way or the other) - if you have power, then the motor is likely to be the problem - if you don't have power, then a wiring fault within the door is the likely problem, I guess.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

driver , electric , front , side , window