Replacing 156 engine advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Lothian
Replacing 156 engine advice

I am looking for a bit of advice for my dad, he has a '02 156 1.6 and is looking to replace the engine as he loves everything else about the car.

He would like to replace it with a 2.0, is this feasible and any ideas on price to get it supplied and fitted. I have been looking around online and have found a place called autolusso who sound very good but they are in Bedfordshire which is not exactly handy as we are in central Scotland. Any ideas of a closer place to us. They are charging £1800 with a three year warranty and I have no idea if that is totally over the top or a really good price.

Any help/advice much appriciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
That's a good price ... the engine will have been refurbed and fitted with new belts, etc

BUT ... that price is probably for a direct swap ... 1.6 to 1.6

Upgrading the engine will also involve changing the ECU as the 2.0 engine will not work with the 1.6 electronics. The gearing will also be wrong and probably not the best ratios for a 2.0 ... the gearbox will fit, but whether it's the best match is another issue.

You have got iainfm up your way ... well Scotland anyway ... drop him a PM ... he might be able to help.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Last edited by gazza82; 11-07-11 at 10:08.
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
As luck would have it, I pulled a good 1.6 engine out of an X-reg 156 yesterday (and still have the scrapes and bruises to prove it). Just needs variator and belts, and I'd think about replacing the big-end bearings as a precaution (it's done 120K or so). It's been well looked after by the looks of it though.

The bad news is I'm away to Greece for a week on Thursday, but if it can wait, or you just want the engine, let me know!
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

156 2.0

engine swap

for that amount you could easily buy a nice 2.0,without hassle of an engine swap.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , advice , engine , replacing