Cleaning perforated leather seats - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 07-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Wiltshire
Cleaning perforated leather seats

Whats the best way to clean these, I have gunk in a lot of the perforations on the drivers seat and it looks pretty grotty, I could dig each one out with a toothpick if I want to be at it all weekend, any better ideas.

Also once all the gunk is removed what do you guys use to clean and condition your leather. I have some Proshine Leather-Riffic not used it yet, any opinions ?

Anf finally one of the rear seats looks like it has stubble and needs a shave The peforations have fibres poking through them and it looks a bit crap, again apart from poking them back through one at a time, any smart ideas ?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Is it "proper" leather or is it the suede/alfatex - If the latter, I have no idea how you would go about it.

I am presuming that as yours is a blackline, it's "proper leather". Get some "Autoglym Leather Cleaner". It comes in a spray bottle: Halfords | Autoglym Car Leather Cleaner 500ml

I sprayed this onto the tan leather seats in mine just after I bought it and it now looks as good as new. Spray it on and scrub in smallish circles using a soft britled brush - a nice new shoe polish brush or interior valeting brush should do the job nicely. Once you have worked it a bit, use a clean micro fibre cloth to wipe off and then start a new section.

Once you have done this, use Autoglym leather conditioner and work it in with a nice clean and dry microfibre cloth.

I would say that the grot in the actual holes will come loose with the use of the brush. Give it a go - at the end of the day you would be using all of the materials listed anyway so try this as a quick fix for removing the mess from the perforations...Just don't get as carried away as I did and start rubbing in the conditioner with your bare hands - as the wife said "the neighbours will think you're a pervert!!!".
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

BTW - saddle soap can be a good product but you have to be careful. The use of too much water with the soap will strip the finish right off the leather and you will be left with seats that look like...well...rubbish.
Ok..... After you have spent an absolute fortune on Autoglym this and Meguirs that etc. etc.
Sorry if this offends anyone but it really, really boils my p**s when people recommend this product or that one without thinking of the actual cost. After all, it isn't them buying it, its poor old you and your wallet!
My boss asked me a while ago why my seats were in such good condition yet his two year old 159's were so grotty!
He had spent a small fortune on cleaning products (70 all told)

Think about it for a little while and apply some common sense to your leather and to your wallet!
What is leather?
It is skin!
Just like ours albeit a little corser and tougher.

Would you honestly sit in the bath and give yourself a good scrub with saddle soap or any of the well known brands of automotive leather cleaners?

Of course you wouldn't!

Why would you put yourself through the torture? So.... Why put your lovely leather seats through it?

So what do you clean your own skin with? Now apply the same principle to your cow skin seats.

There is nothing wrong with a soft sponge lathered up with dove soap (1/4 moisturiser) to clean the grime. 0.60 'ish
A gentle towelling down to dry it off.
Followed by a conservative coating of quality moisturiser that is gently but thoroughly rubbed in until dry... 1.50 'sh
Just like your own skin, treat it right and it will last you a lifetime. "I don't care if the neighbours think i'm a pervert!!!".
2.10 total outlay.... Or be cheeky and nick the wife's! I did hehe!

As for perforations a soft brush should do but if you had dirty finger nails or grubby ears how would you clean them!

ps. I own a 99 V reg and my seats are purrfect... I wonder why?

Last edited by Grahameo; 13-07-11 at 20:27.
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

alfa 147

Grahameo fantastic idea will deffo try that

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cleaning , leather , perforated , seats