Fuel Consumption - Closer than ever - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Fuel Consumption - Closer than ever

Hi all

(I have a 147 2.0l Selespeed - 2001 model)

Just thought I would share...its been a long while since my previous posts on the Forum!

Re the fuel consumption - I have finally managed to get my consumption to close to Alfa specs, but it took a lot of changing!

The following three changes were made, and for 2 of them, I know the improvement:
1. Centre exhaust box replaced with Powerflow freeflow exhaust box (due to original being puntured by a rock!)
2. Changed fuel to 97RON - 10% improvement in fuel consumption. Tested over a period of a year. Switched to 95Unleaded, and Fuel consumption went back up to the 12.5 - 13.5 l/100k region.
3. Last week put in a K&N panel replacement filter - a further 10% improvement in fuel consumption! Did a bit of mixed driving - long distance and commuting - and average consumption over a tankful was at 9.5 l/100km. On the drive to work this morning got an 11.0 l/100km as opposed to the usual 11.9l per 100km!

So far the fuel and filter have had the most impact, but will keep you posted if anything else develops!

Other problems I have been having recently:
1. Paint chipping - bumper and bonnet
2. Sometimes car will not start - have to put it in reverse to get it to start. Also had a jump from 1 -3 -1. Very disconcerting. First time that happened, hope its not ANOTHER bill coming my way!!
3. Had to replace control arm (out of warranty +- GBP200) - this month
4. Had to replace brake discs (out of warranty +-GBP200) - 2 months ago

So as you can see, its been a rather expensive few months! These costs exlcude the service costs and the loan financing installment!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

closer , consumption , fuel