147 oil was low - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 03-07-11 Thread Starter
County: Australian Capital Territory

Member car:

147 oil was low

I just bought an Alfa 147, 2005 facelift, 52k kms. I'm embarassed about this, but I didn't realise how important it was to check the oil regularly with the TS, so the first time I checked it today after driving about 1000km over two weeks (note: kms, not miles) I noticed the level was well below the minimum "dot" on the dipstick. I put two litres of 5w40 in, and now it's right on the "maximum" dot. Does the max dot represent 4.4 litres?? And, if so, can I assume I was running on about 2 litres?? I don't know how long it was at this level, but do you think the car would have sustained any damage?

The engine sounds perfect, and the oil pressure warning never came on, but I love my 147 and I'm worried I might have hurt it!! Would really appreciate your advice, and I promise I'll be checking oil weekly from now on!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
Oil starvation damages the big ends, which manifests itself in a knocking, probably not immediately. I don't know about the 147 but on the 156, the oil pressure warning comes on at the point the engine is already ruined, so that's no use. You could consider replacing the big end shells pre-emptively which is certainly cheaper than having to do the crank further down the line. Someone else will be able to tell you if that's a good idea.
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
well the most important thing is if your engine is sounding good then you have topped up in time...

i wouldnt worry if things are sounding fine, but just keep an eye on the oil level to make sure your engine isnt using too much, as you mentioned you didnt check the level when you bought the car so it could have been full? or of course it could have been low

Alfas like oil and a lot of it, so its all about maintenance, checking it each week is the best bet...

Try not to worry but certainly listen out for anything odd from time to time...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , low , oil