156 advice please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 26-09-04 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 maybe?

156 advice please

Hi,Just joined here and would like a bit of info please. having owned numerous Porsches I have decided to go for an Italian car,as I cant stretch to a Ferrari I thought the next best must be an Alfa.I have found a 99 2.0 twin spark 156 110K miles full Alfa/Alfa specialst service history.The car has the sport pack carbon dash sports suspension etc,I would say the car is in very good condition and the buyer is asking 2,500,is this a good price?? I would intend to modify the car to road/trackday use and wonder if this model Alfa is a good choice for mods.Any info I would appreciate.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 156 advice please

I would say get a v6 if you're intending on taking it to the track, but then I would. Not sure about the price as you may need to take into account it might need a timing belt and at 110,000 you're probably looking at most of the suspension as well.
AO Platinum Member

The V6 is quicker in a straight line, but a 2.0TS will handle better (close to 100kg lighter engine).

The 2.0TS comes as std with the same brakes as the 2.5V6 but they are less than ideal.
A Brembo conversion makes a massive difference, kits with 305mm discs will just fit under 16" rims, but spacers will be needed to clear OEM rims.

You will want to replace: cambelt+tensioner, balanceshaft belt+tensioner and possibly the variator too. That lot will be around 500 fitted.
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Mods for fast road/track use include: brembo brakes, stiffer shocks/springs, stiffer anti-roll bar, performance chip, induction air filter, performance cam, turbo (!), sports exhaust. I.e the usual! Plenty of places that will do them for you but check out Autodelta website first for ideas/parts and advice.www.autodelta.co.uk. They also show the expected power gains for each mod on the website. Also !!!!!!!!! of Daventry - small outfit but OK. I agree that 2 litre is best option to build from as lighter front end. 2,500 seems a fairly good price.

Last edited by Mr G; 30-09-04 at 13:34.

As I remeber, "cheap" will always get you...

If you have the cash, then buy a lower milage car. If not, then i think 2500 is a good price. You will get a very cool and stylish car. Compare it to what you get for the same price on other brands? A old WV Golf?

Get the alfa and you be the coolest kid in town.

AO Silver Member

There was an article in this months AROC newsletter about a 2.0 TS prepared (tuned to 194bhp )- zorst,racing cams,head work,induction,remap. run in one of the endurance races.

Stops goes to find newsletter it was Team Brunswick @ the Nurburgring 24hour in june this year. It finished the race (not without a few problems) including a wheel bearing, and a driver knocking the bottom of the sump off on a high curb.

If you're looking for the road/trackday the 156 is certainly getting the mods now. I'd reccomend looking for a RHB suspension setup, replacing bushes with powerflex ones, and then getting jano @ autodelta to work on the engine, may be worth talking to him.

But I'd budget on all belts, tensioners, water pump & the variator wantiung replacing if they havent been already.

Alfa V6 - the ultimate aural pleasure
Simes - the Alfaowner formerly known as Alfa156man
AO Member

Originally Posted by David C

You will want to replace: cambelt+tensioner, balanceshaft belt+tensioner and possibly the variator too. That lot will be around 500 fitted.

I'd reckon on almost 600 for that including the variator. But you may also have to replace suspension parts and that could cost between 200 and maybe 400. Oh and if the car has been run without regularly topping up the oil then maybe the camshaft also (300 for this?). Realisticaly you might have to spend 1000 on a car of this age unless you know the work has been done recently.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , advice