Heavy Knocking from front of my 156! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 25-06-11 Thread Starter
County: Greater London

Member car:

156 2.0TS '99

Heavy Knocking from front of my 156!

Hi guys, hope someone can give me a few ideas...

Driving to work yesterday a knocking started to develop at the front of my '99 2.0TS 156... it got progressively worse so before I went home I popped the bonnet removed the battery box and had a look around to see if any thing was loose... but couldn't see anything.
Against my better judgement I drove the 20 miles home and the knocking got progresively worse... it's now so bad it makes the windscreen rattle! It's road speed dependant... not too bad at very low speed, but 30 up it sounds pretty horrific... it seems to subside a bit when turning left and worse turning right, but it's there all the time. I can actually feel it both through the steering wheel and pedals!

I recently took it in for an MOT and wanted to get the alignment done... but the track rods were seized up so that didn't happen! I think that during the 2 hours they spent trying to free the track rod ends that one of the P/S pipes was disturbed, because it dumped all it's fluid and I found one of the pipes had been rubbing because one of the clips had come out... not sure if rough treatment could contribute to the knocking?

Another point to mention... last year one of the Engine mounts snapped (attached to Gearbox) - because it had been replaced with only one bolt! - and it knocked the Drive Shaft... maybe a contributor?

Any ideas would be appreciated... I'm thinking this might be the nail in the coffin for the Alfa, it's caused me too much pain already, but if it's something simple it may have a repreive!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
daniel wiley
could be a driveshaft problem, maybe a really bad wheel bearing, maybe a CV joint. probably something simple but expensive as its an alfa lol
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
I'm assuming the knocking goes away when the car isn't moving?
daniel wiley
lol do you think there is an immigrant under the bonnet? pmsl
AO Member
County: Norfolk
First step for me would be to check the wheel bolts...might have a loose wheel!
Especially if the garage took the wheels off to get better access to the trackrod ends, might not have torqued the bolts ect...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , front , heavy , knocking