Best way to restore leather - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 19-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

156 2.0 T Spark

Best way to restore leather

I've made a bit of a boo I think, I used leather cleaner on my 156's steering wheel and now it doesn't feel like leather anymore and is way too smooth, is there any way of bringing it back, or do you think I should just replace the wheel? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

IME never use these auto specific leather products...

I use saddle soap, and to rejuvenate the leather, i use neatsfoot oil and lanolin. there is a great UK company that makes top notch products... elico... grab it here:

the soap cleans leather well, use a soft brush to work it in... buff off, the leather is in as-new matt finish, without any hideous oily aftermath...

good luck... i use this on my leather all over the car - great natural stuff, no gimmick, been around for decades...
County: -

Member car:

The elico soap contains glycerine.

For a car specific product that is basically the same formulation check out the following...

Leather Care | Leather Cleaner

You can also get recolouring kits from this site.

I'm inclined to give the Elico stuff a go in future as the price is good in comparison to GT12.
AO Member
County: Herefordshire
Kleeneze do a really good leather cleaner, then use the leather cream.
Works wonders, best I've used and I used to be a valeter!!
AO Member
County: Lisboa
i saw this one a couple of days ago..
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Which cleaner did you use Matt?

I have a tan leather interior. It was in a RIGHT STATE when I bought the car, practically black! I use Autoglym leather cleaner and a soft bristled brush to work it into the grain, wipe down with a micro fibre cloth, one seat at a time. By the time you finish, the cloth is pretty wet and i just use the cloth as is to wipe down the wheel, rather than using the cleaner and brush.

I then use Autoglym leather conditioner. I whack it onto a clean micro fibre cloth and really work it in, again, one seat at a time. Again, the cloth retains a lot of the conditioner and i turn it inside out and rub it on the wheel, just so there is enough to shine the wheel but not enough to leave the wheel greasy.

Saddlesoap is great stuff and I have used it on other leather goods but never a car interior. If you use too much water with saddlesoap to generate a lather, you can strip the finish on the leather!

A good leather conditioner should help your wheel. Try a small section and really work it in, use quite a bit and then use a completely clean micro fibre cloth to wipe off the excess greasiness. Try a small bit to see if it works and then set about the rest of the wheel. If successsful, make sure you wiupe off the excess after leaving it to "cure" for a bit - don't want your hands to slip!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

leather , restore