156 V6 What should I look out for ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 15-09-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
156 V6 What should I look out for ?

It's that time at last to let the GTV go.(kids are a tad too big now!)

I'm considering a 156 2.5V6.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for (apart from the usual suspects!).
I'm well enough acquainted with the 2.0TS but the V6 is a new beast to me - any particular worries/foibles with this engine.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

oh by the way

98 GTV 2.0 TS Lusso for sale (phase1)
Alfa Red, 17" Mille Miglia Alloys
Car serviced by Alfa expert - all usual work carried out, belts,bushes etc. all replaced .
Car is in excellent condition - Make me an offer I can't refuse
(check previous posts for records if you don't believe me
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: 156 V6 What should I look out for ?

The belts are even more important on the V6 than the TS's as the clearances are much less, apart from that I don't believe there is anything particular to the V6's I'd be interested in hearing if there are.

She likes petrol - your visa card will be your friend, oh and join a petrol loyalty program.

It's a whole new dimension of fun - I often just turn the radio off and listen...

Enjoy the design, its lovely.. Hear the sound of the V6, its lovely..

But look out up the word realibility! (It's a Alfa Romeo)

I have learnt it the hard way, moved from a old man's car [Mercedes] to a flashy 156 with red leather seats. After all it feels that it was worth it and can you beleave it, the girls seem to like me more now as well.

AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

You should uprate the suspension if you have the time and cash as the V6 can be a bit soft into the corners with its heavy nose (which means the tyres wear out quickly).

Other than that they are fun, reliable and fun again

If you thrash it then keep an eye on the oil level. Nothing new there for an Alfa but I can`t think of any other troubles! Mine has been a star to own

I often wonder if people check out this forum and see what they expect to see - lots of people with problems on their cars. Its a shame really as of course people use this forum to seek assistance but it doesn`t do justice to what actually are reliable cars. If you get a duffer then you are stuffed but that is exactly the same as any other make (unless its japanese i suppose). I have had a fantastic and reliable car in bith my 155 and 156. Maybe we need a 'My car is fantasticaly reliable' thread so Guests get the right idea
AO Member

Member car:

I think most owners forums are full of problems because that's what they are used for most, helping each other out. He is already an Alfa guy so I wouldn't worry too much about putting him off!! Ever considered the JTD?
AO Member
County: Cumbria

Never had any problems with mine in 2+ years, except the usual rattles. Only failed to start once, never did find out why, maybe a bit of muck in the petrol, garage got it going with a boost been OK since.
Check the oil regularly, buy lots of tyres.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT