156 1.8 Sump Removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 12-06-11 Thread Starter
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.8 TS

156 1.8 Sump Removal

I have noticed that i am leaving little puddles of oil everywhere i go, upon investigating there appears to be a rather bodged repair on the sump of my 156 :-( obviously im going to have to replace the sump but it scares the hell out of me looking at it. I can rebuild D Series Honda engines with my eyes shut but this thing looks awkward to say the least. Does anyone know of a step by step guide, or could someone give me some advice on changing it? I think i can get a clean replacement sump for about £80, unless someone on here has one......let me know. Ive got some time on my hands so the sooner the better

If its worked i've attached 2 pics to show the problem, original bodge and my temp bodge just to slow things down a bit, also any clues as to what the 2 threaded holes either side of the exhaust are for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11062011164.jpg (58.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 11062011165.jpg (54.6 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
I've got one you can have a bit cheaper that that

It's not the easiest job in the world, and you'll need a couple of long ribe bits (totally alfa sell them I think). It goes a bit like this:

Remove anything that's in the way of the sump (undertray etc).
Drain the oil.
Disconnect the exhaust downpipe from the manifold and support.
Undo the 10 (iirc) larger ribe bolts from the front and rear of the sump
Undo the 4 smaller ribe bolts from the left/right ends of the sump (the ones next to the gearbox are the hardest to access and I sometimes need to use a ribe-ended screwdriver with mole-grips on the handle).
Undo the horizontal bolt that goes through the rear engine/driveshaft support. This is a pig to get back on.
Undo the sump bolt that attaches it to the rear engine mount.

That should be the sump free, save for the instant gasket that seals it, so pry it off carefully.

Once it's released, you need to undo the 2 oil pick-up bolts (11mm). I can never remember which way round to do it, but I think you undo the front one completely and slacken the rear one. Swing the pick-up pipe to the front of the engine, and the sump should pass the pipe and finally be completely free.

Refitting is pretty much the reverse. I find that applying the new instant gasket to the block, ie not the sump pan, is less messy when doing it on the car.

The horizontal bolt I mentioned is really fiddly to get the washer and bolt back on. I usually have to stick it to a screwdriver with some grease and coax it into place.

Good luck!
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
PS The threaded holes are for the exhaust guard. You're better off without it though, as if you hit anything with it the sump gets wrecked.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , removal , sump