Aux connection to sim card radio - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 11-06-11 Thread Starter
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Aux connection to sim card radio

I have a 2004 Alfa 156 with the upgraded Alfa radio that has the sim card in it (connect, I think), I have a 10 CD Changer in the boot that when I bought the car I was told it was fitted at the factory as an upgrade. I would like to add a cable or connection so that I can plug my iPod/iPhone into the stereo.

I have asked at Alfa main dealer and they have no idea, they suggested using a radio emmitting devise that plugs into the cigarette lighter and works through the radio, I dont want this option, can there be another option whilst keeping the CD Changer in the boot???

I have on previous cars pulled the radio out and used a stereo cable via the aux port in the back of the unit but I am very unfamilar and unconfident in doing this, can anyone help???

Any words of advise is very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Renfrewshire
I have the same and tried various things, that worked with all other alfa HU, but found nothing for this as yet, apart from a FM modulator.
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
A system with a direct FM transmission into the antenna socket would be your answer, that way you wouldn't loose any signal quality and you could assign a specific button on your radio to it (most come with a choice of frequencies)

The wired-in FM Modulator is one way to go. You plug it into your radio, find a power source and plug in your iPod. You have a switch that you'll need to locate somewhere handy that switches between the iPod and the radio input. Then you control your music via your iPod. It's basic, but functional....

Then there is the (now old) Harmon Kardon Drive + Play, which is a fully built-in system that sits on your dash and control it rather than the ipod, which is hidden away somewhere. I've used one of these and they are fantastic! Everything you'd need in the box.
Cheap one on eBay at the moment...

Then comes the Alpine version, the ex-10. This is very similar to the Harmon Kardon, but is sexier, full colour and has built-in Bluetooth as well, handy if you haven't already got it.
This is the one I'm currently using in my 156. Now this version doesn't come with the built-in FM antenna attachment like the Harmon Kardon one, but I just happen to have that part available if you decided to go down that route (just give me a PM)
Fairly cheap on eBay...

I hope that helps you out, and if there is anything you're not sure on just ask, as I've got experience with all three of these suggestions.

AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
I think you will have to compromise somewhere to be honest. I don't know anything about the CONNECT system, so this may be missing the point, but I had the same question with the stock stereo and the CD changer.

The obvious question is why do you want the CD changer? If you got an iPod connected, do you really need it any more? If you absolutely must keep it and the original head unit, you might be able to use a Dension product called the Gateway 300 (or maybe 100 too). However you will need to spend more to keep it, and at this point you are trying to do something fairly complicated through a user interface not designed for it.

I'd go further and ask why you want to keep the head unit, other than to save money. 200 gets you a new one with native iPod/iPhone connectivity, Bluetooth for phone calls, and maintaining steering wheel controls via an adaptor. Again you will lose the CD changer though because it's a Blaupunkt and won't work with anything other than stock stereos.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
There's a ICE section on here ... might be an idea to move this tread there ...

Last edited by gazza82; 12-06-11 at 16:40.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

aux , card , connection , radio , sim