Sump Plug leak - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
Sump Plug leak

I have a 2002 147 and my sump plug has been leaky for ages now. I've been putting off sorting it out for a while but now I've decided to bite the bullet and sort it out.

I've bought a tap and plug kit and am planning to sort it out myself as I'm pretty sure that the threads have gone on the sump which is causing the leak.

Have any of you guys done this before? If you have - is there anything particularly I should be careful of?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Be careful of a VERY tight sump plug. Seems to be a common issue with Alfa aluminium sumps (I have personal experience of them on 156's & 147's). The plugs are not necessarily put in tight after oil change, but 10,000 miles later thay can take some shifting - so be careful you don't crack the sump itself.

Also make sure the Ribe / Torx key is a good fit in the drive in the plug else you are likely to strip it out (if the plug is tight). If it is not tight then the two points above won't be an issue.

I guess you have your reasons for suspecting the threads, but I would have said it would be more likely to simply be the sealing washer. If threads are damaged then it is most probable that the damage is to the female thread in the sump itself - it is Aluminium = softer than the male threads on the steel plug. This would not be good news for you.
AO Member
County: -
Sump plug issues are common on four cylinder Alfas. I have a spare sump with new thread and sump plug that I can sell you on an exchange basis but it's worth trying to see if you can fix/live with what you have first as the sump can be a pain to change (exhaust manifold bolts can be hard to shift)
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 13-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
Thanks for your advice chaps - I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on. Chris, I'll let you know about the sump with the new thread if I need it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

leak , plug , sump