Help please? Warning light! :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
Help please? Warning light! :(

Hiya hope you guys can help.

Past week or so my 147 2.0 TSpark has been running a bit lumpy here and there... Sometimes on start up the engine seems to splutter as if it's choking and when trying to drive off it hardly responded to the revs and feels like it wants to pack in Sometimes it's been running fine but seems when its warm its ok too even if was lumpy to start with.

I started it this morning and it was the worst it's been so far, really lumpy and really didnt want to go at all even when warmed up. Went down to the shops and left it running and came back out to the engine management warning light on.

Re-started it hoping it would go but it came up with ' Motor Control System Failure '

Can anyone help me please, what this means? I've drove it straight back home and parked it up but there's a smell coming from it now when running like something plastic either burning or melting... I don't know if should drive it or not...

Any help would be great guys! Thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
Ifya smell somthing burning dont drive it untill you find out whats burning, I have had a car catch fire whilst driving and you would be shocked the speed a car fire takes hold, secondly you need to get the codes read, ether risk a trip to a garage....... call out the AA or whatever you belong to, or buy a reader.
It maybe just the plastic burning off a sensor wire somware (dont the lambada sensors do that?)

anyway hope that helps
AO Gold Member
I'd guess at maybe a sensor wire touching something hot - maybe as posted above one of the lambda sensors - there are 3 - two in the downpipes and one near the main cat.......Probably not dangerous, but check -and carry a fire extinguisher just in case.....
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

Hi Courty
I drive a 147 time mine showed 'montor control system failure'. I had lack of performance and lots of smoke from the exhaust. It was driveable but only just. I rang an Alfa mechanic and he diagnosed it over the phone as a blocked or wrecked idea which one or where it is but they cleaned the part for 50...job done....hope this helps you..cheers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

light , warning