Help key fob not working.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 06-06-11 Thread Starter

County: Essex

Member car:

Help key fob not working....

recently bought a 147 (53 plate) and am loving it. However this morning my key fob decided not to work. I have a spare which came with the car, but again this one has never worked either. I opened the key and put a new battery in (have now done this in both) but it hasn't solved the problem.

Basically I try to unlock the car by pressing the unlock icon on the key fob and nothing happens, same if I press the lock and boot buttons too. Evenually (after about 20 mins) one of my numerous button pushes opened the car, so I managed to get to work but was too scared to lock it again using the alarm so instead I locked it manually - worth noting that previously the fob had been a bit flakey but always worked after a couple of tries - this time was very different.

Does anyone have any advice on what might be the problem and how I get it fixed? Would also like to fix the spare too as it terrifies me to only have one key (especially with an 20 month old who is totally in love with the car & keys!!).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
could be a poor connection between battery and contact. clean it all up and try again. It does happen
jus
AO Member

Exactly the same thing has happened to me. You'll need a new alarm mate .. dude on ebay does them for 150 (its on a thread I started). Reason I say you WILL need a new alarm ...? Well I left it and left it ,,, being smug thinking I'll just use the keys to un/lock it ... Then my battery went flat .... and everyone knows what will happen when I get it sorted ... the alarm will go off and I have now way of cancelling it ... So I'm going to have to disconn the alarm and hope it doesn't mess with the immobiliser. They're supposed to be separate but MUST be connected to each other somehow.

Nev

Does it work if you try using the key remote inside the car?

There are a multitude of threads on keys here on AO and Chris who posts
here does run a repair service.

jus
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Does it work if you try using the key remote inside the car?

There are a multitude of threads on keys here on AO and Chris who posts
here does run a repair service.
No offence mate but I'd like to be able to lock it from the outside idelally lmao .. not sure what locking it from the inside would acheive .... Btw the brain of my alarm is not behind the stereo it was near the B fuse box. Well third party alarm fitters could put it anywhere couldn't they .. not sure why everyone on here seems to think behind the stereo is cast in stone ...
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1014
Garage
I think nev was trying to help you diagnose if it was a weak transponder rather than lock yourself in the car
Nev

What Joss said.

If you don't need any pointers I'll clear out of your thread.

AO Silver Member

County: Bangkok
Really, listen to Joss and Nev. Those things happen and usually can be fixed with some perseverance. Sometimes the problem seems to be the car or receiver, but the key does not get enough voltage because the pins are not clean. This could be between the fob's chipset, pins/contacts and the battery.

The immobilizer and alarm/central-lock are separate things. Don't worry about your immo, it is safely inside your key.
AO Member

simple - stop faffing around and send your key to chris!

which reminds me...................i still need to send my spare to Chris for a freshen up - on its way next week mate!

seriously, if your key can be fixed, Chris can do it, and its a reasonable cost solution to try first

good luck!
jus
AO Member

I've rebuilt the alarm fob in teh past and changed batteries, tested it inside blah blah. Basically the alarms old and its coming out. Not gonna mess about with an obsolete alarm system.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus View Post
Exactly the same thing has happened to me. You'll need a new alarm mate .. dude on ebay does them for 150 (its on a thread I started). Reason I say you WILL need a new alarm ...? Well I left it and left it ,,, being smug thinking I'll just use the keys to un/lock it ... Then my battery went flat .... and everyone knows what will happen when I get it sorted ... the alarm will go off and I have now way of cancelling it ... So I'm going to have to disconn the alarm and hope it doesn't mess with the immobiliser. They're supposed to be separate but MUST be connected to each other somehow.

It's always possible that the alarm has died but in my experience this has only happened when someone has been chopping about with the wires. They are pretty reliable units IMO. Almost always the problem is the key, especially when it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Occasionally the C/L will go wrong but of the alarm still works then its easy to see that this is just a C/L problem and not the key.

By all means buy a new alarm if it's what you want but its overkill for those that only need the key fixing -especially when a service like mine doesn't charge you when there is no key fault. Oh, and as has been said, the Alfa immobiliser and locking/alarm are not connected at all.
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 09-06-11 Thread Starter

County: Essex

Member car:

Hi Chris, can I have all your details as would like to send you my spare key to be fixed, my main key seems to have sorted itself out. Roughly what is the cost?
Thanks, Nina
jus
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It's always possible that the alarm has died but in my experience this has only happened when someone has been chopping about with the wires. They are pretty reliable units IMO. Almost always the problem is the key, especially when it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Occasionally the C/L will go wrong but of the alarm still works then its easy to see that this is just a C/L problem and not the key.

By all means buy a new alarm if it's what you want but its overkill for those that only need the key fixing -especially when a service like mine doesn't charge you when there is no key fault. Oh, and as has been said, the Alfa immobiliser and locking/alarm are not connected at all.
Its a 3rd party Toad mate ... not the OEM alarm. If I replace it I'll have 2 brand new fobs and a new system ... Vs trying to flog a dead horse ...
Nev

Quote:
Its a 3rd party Toad mate ... not the OEM alarm. If I replace it I'll have 2 brand new fobs and a new system ... Vs trying to flog a dead horse ...
Are you talking about your GTV or the OP's 147 now?

Pulling the alarm/CL out of a 147 will cause all sorts of CANBus issues, I'd guess........

AO Silver Member

Member car:

a very dirty car

Quote:
Ah, that makes much more sense
AO Silver Member

Member car:

a very dirty car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Are you talking about your GTV or the OP's 147 now?

Pulling the alarm/CL out of a 147 will cause all sorts of CANBus issues, I'd guess........
The OP's problem will soon be clear to her as I should be receiving her key shortly. I'll let her tell you about the result of she wishes as it's her private repair

...and yes, goodness knows what would happen if you pulled an alarm out of a 147 but it sounds very risky - anyone tried it?

County: -

Member car:

Chris, are you still fixing key fobs? If so, I might need your assistance. I'm having this problem as well and it seems that paying a garage to supply a replacement key fob will cost more than I bought the car for. Any assistance would be great!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie2873 View Post
recently bought a 147 (53 plate) and am loving it. However this morning my key fob decided not to work. I have a spare which came with the car, but again this one has never worked either. I opened the key and put a new battery in (have now done this in both) but it hasn't solved the problem.

Basically I try to unlock the car by pressing the unlock icon on the key fob and nothing happens, same if I press the lock and boot buttons too. Evenually (after about 20 mins) one of my numerous button pushes opened the car, so I managed to get to work but was too scared to lock it again using the alarm so instead I locked it manually - worth noting that previously the fob had been a bit flakey but always worked after a couple of tries - this time was very different.

Does anyone have any advice on what might be the problem and how I get it fixed? Would also like to fix the spare too as it terrifies me to only have one key (especially with an 20 month old who is totally in love with the car & keys!!).

Thanks
If the key actually operates, and you will only know that by sending it to Chris for testing, as I did, it was and he returned it, then the fix is straightforward. Chris told me:
"
*Stand near the car to make sure the car can receive the signal properly. If you can sit in the car without the alarm sounding then do this.
* Remove the battery from the key to interrupt the power (i.e. slip out the battery holder part-way) and then reinsert and try the key button again twice. Take your time and perform this procedure slowly.

You may have to do this battery removal and re-insertion quite a few times to reset the key enough to have an effect - 35 is the max I have ever heard from a customer but this was exceptional, less than 10 times is much more common. It is a boring task but it is worthwhile so do be patient with your key and don't use excessive force."

It took me quite a few shots but in the end it worked. The second key fixed the second time.

Jerry
2002 156 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Remap + Koni FSD's = Loverly
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legen_dary View Post
Chris, are you still fixing key fobs? If so, I might need your assistance. I'm having this problem as well and it seems that paying a garage to supply a replacement key fob will cost more than I bought the car for. Any assistance would be great!
+1 I also have a key (or 2) that needs repairing

County: -
Key repair

I found this forum, because my key fob wasn't working unless I kept it at an angle straight at the window. Decided to send it to Chris and I am really pleased with his service! The key now works, at a fraction of what a dealer would charge. Thanks a lot!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
fob , key , working

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page