156 tspark starting trouble - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 01-06-11 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Member car:

156 T Spark 1.8

Cry Like A Baby 156 tspark starting trouble

Well m kinda a new proud owner of an alfa Romeo, she s a 156 T spark 1.8l 16V engine, I have had her for a lil over 3 months now and never had any problems until a week back, all of a sudden she refused to start. So I gave her a push and she started. At first I thought it might be the battery. Then the next morning she started up just fine and she was fine until the day before yesterday when I was driving down to Preston and just stopped on my way for gas, filled her up and then she just refused to start. She cranked fine, thus I knew that it had nothing to do with the battery. Thank god the pump had a slight slope, just rolled her to a start!! (Saved me the embarrassment of giving her a push start!!!) On my way back I saw the 'engine management system' light blinking on the dash, I was doing around 80, I slowed down to 60 and it started flashing on n off now and then. After that its been coming and going, kinda intermittent.
Been going through a couple of peoples threads, and think it might either be trouble with the Crank shaft sensor or the Cam shaft sensor. If anyone knows a little more than me on the subject or if this has happened to you I would be grateful if you can help me out a little and tell me what you did or rather what I should do. Sorry if this is repetitive, I did not find anything which was like mine :-(
Also if you can tell me the whereabouts of the crank shaft n cam shaft sensors, or where I might be able to find a pic of the location of the same, it would be really helpful
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

AR156 V6

Alright buddy, dont know too much about the problem.. but..
Cam sensor- behind the exhaust pulley (pain in the a.... to remove)
Crank sensor- on the back side of the engine where the gear box is ,pointing to the flywheel...
cam sensor100% sure.. crank one- 50/50 since did the engine swap almost 2 years ago..
What i would do- first of all hook up some diagnostics, surely if its a sensor- will display some code.. and just for your self check all spark plugs, coils (might not help, but ey, youll know there good )
hope it helps atleast a little bit.
and as said cam sensor behind exhaust cam pulley

Best get it on some kind of diagnostic first imo
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Similar problem on 156 2.0TS. First it was difficult to start when hot. Then would cut out when slowing down for a junction or roundabout after cruising. Would not restart until the car had stood for "a while".

The AA diagnosed it as crankshaft sensor. Alfa dealer diagnosed it as crankshaft sensor. Dealer fitted a new one. All was then hunky dory.

I hope for your sake it is the crankshaft sensor and not the cam sensor. As already mentioned, the cam sensor is on the side of the head behind the exhaust cam pulley. Probably a cheaper part, but a lot more expensive labour to change - unless you do it yourself, then the cost is merely skin and sanity. You would probably need the inlet pulley off too as the sensor wiring is located behind that to a connector hidden somewhere behind the PAS reservoir and under the inlet manifold. Reassembly would require a full engine re-time, so you may as well do all the belts tensioners while you are in there.

Last edited by williamt73; 02-06-11 at 06:50.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 03-06-11 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Member car:

156 T Spark 1.8

Thanks guys,
well wen she was hooked into the diagnostics there was an array of errors. Thus my mechanic suggested that he first reset everything as perhaps many of there errors have already been rectified but not rectified in the system. He says I wait for the fault to re occur and then he will tackle it from there.
So far so good!!!
Cheers anyways

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , starting , trouble , tspark