156 for a GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 31-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

156 1.8TS

156 for a GT

I currently own a 156 1.8TS, love the car and even more now it has just passed it's MOT on Friday 27th May.
I'm thinking of changing to a GT, they are a cool looking car and I don't see many, if any in my area. I'm travelling around 40 miles a day during the week to work and the school run so a diesel is on the cards.
What I'm asking is are there any things I need to be looking out for when buying one that may differ from the 156 usual? And what is the cambelt change intervals on the 1.9 diesel, as ones I've been looking at are in the 65,000 to 85,000 mile range????

Any help or advice would be most welcome!!!

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

'05 350z

Hi Bob,

Take a look at this: Alfa Romeo GT Buyer's Guide

For the diesel engines, cambelt is to be changed every 60,000 miles. Check that the waterpump has also been changed at this interval.

The GT is pretty similiar to the 147/156, as far as I know they have the same chassis in common so in terms of suspension issues these should be very much the same.
The more I look at the current Alfa offering (new and used), the more I am inclined to stick with my 156. I had a 1.6 TSpark for 3 years and have had a 20v SW for the last 4 years - would like a 159 2.4 SW Ti, but going by the mpg of my wife's 2.4 Brera that is not an option. The 1.9JTD GT we had for 3 years was an undoubted joy to own and drive (easy 55 mpg) - but it was hard work to drive and the general visability was poor (reversing/overtaking/lane changing etc) - but in Alfa red with 5 hole 17" alloys she was a stunner. Just my personal opinion - also, thinking of your school run - if you are over 3 feet 6 inches tall its a nightmare to get into the back of a GT, and when you get in there you wish you hadn't .
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 03-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

156 1.8TS

what sort of mileage do you expect to get from a diesel 1.9?

ones I'm looking at are in the 65,000 to 85,000 is this low for these engines???
AO Silver Member
the thing that stopped me when I could afford the switch was the cabin.
I much prefer my 156 cabin... its sort of small but really bugged me so spare that a brief thought.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Be careful with older, lower mileage cars. Diesels need a good run once in a while or carbon build up becomes your enemy!

1) EGR valve, I would recommend taking it off and cleaning it out as soon as you get it - it's very very easy and there is a vid on youtube for its removal - despite being in French, it is useful.

2) Turbo hose - these split - not because of "rubbing" as everyone puts it. Yes, the bolt on the gearbox is badly positioned but it is really not that close to the pipe! It will split if you thrash the car - if you change down and ram your foor on the accelerator, the gearbox will shoot up and pierce the pipe. There was a new, shorter bolt manufactured as a fix and Autolusso have a silicone pipe they have manufactured to avoid piercing - have this fitted - easy to find on ebay and an easy fix too - It has to be cut to size but it's not that bad.

3) gearbox/gearshift - these have a tendancy to stick/be clunky/notchy - again, as long as the springs return the stick to neutral, the clutch has a good bite and the clutch pedal is smooth albeit STIFF, do not be put off. The clutch is heavy and the fix for the notchy lever is easy enough - fix with pics on the forum (just done mine)

4) Door check straps - have a tendency to CLICK. This is an easy fix but the straps are expensive from a dealer - prices of 15 have been quoted on the forum but they are now 40!!!

5) Master cylinder/pump - these can creak, break and pin can also break. Just had mine changed because i heard an almighty crack in the cabin and pedal went to the floor. Fluid built up pressure and i was able to drive it but they are a pain.

6) tailgate rattle - Alfa "forgot" to stick two spotwelds on the back under the roof lining!!! This was sorted on post 2005 (?-i think) cars.

7) Keep a damned good eye on your oil

8) If you're going for 17's or 18's, watch the ARB links - they will go

9) Windows - they have a mind of their own!!! Any issues and all you do is run them down together, hold both buttons for ten seconds or so, run both up and hold for another 10 secs - might take a couple of goes but this fixes it.

That's about all i can think of.

It is a lovely car and i have covered somewhere in the region of 10,000 miles in the past few months! The engine and gearbox are sound. I will be keeping mine and driving it into the ground. I think they are easily good for a few hundred thousand miles!

I really don't mean to patronise given that you will clearly know what you're looking for - but just make sure you have one that has been loved by its owner and looked after at a main dealers/prefereably an indy.

If you're getting a cloverleaf or blackline, great - if it is the gt jtd, try and find a gt jtdM. the m stands for modificata and they are cheaper on the insurance and tax.

hope it helps - enjoy your hunt and get the leather - i find myself rubbing the leather conditioner in by hand on occasion - yeah, i know but i love it!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT