156 remote locking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 30-05-11 Thread Starter
County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

156 1.8 t spark

156 remote locking

I just bought my 156 1.8, and my battery died, the remote locking would not then work, I had been searching the site for answers and tried different combinations, like changing the battery in the key fob, and disconnecting the main battery, but all failed.

I know it's not the end of the world, but i read a thread about if you sit in your car and press the boot remote, and the remote locking button together, this might resync them, well this worked for me so here goes

1.open the car with the normal key
2. when in side manually lock the doors by pushing the lock down on the drivers side
3. Press at the same time the boot and remote locking button on your key
4. the flashing light on the key fob then stayed on constantly
5. Next get out of the car opening the drivers door handle
6. Then close the door, and manually lock the door with your key.
7. then try remotely opening the door with the remote button

It worked for me,it might have been a few things that happened all at once, and may be i got lucky,

Good luck
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Yes you got lucky, most of that procedure didn’t do anything
When you pressed both buttons you disturbed the battery connection – the led staying on is a sign that the circuit is in a flux state due to an interruption in power. Next time you press a button the circuit resets properly and bingo, the key resynced. It's a bit like the reset when you turn on your computer - the beep of the bios resetting.
You can achieve the same thing by simply dropping out the battery and pushing it back in again. I would definitely recommend this more for anyone else reading this thread as (a) pressing both buttons is unlikely to work for you too, (b) it stresses the circuit board and connections and if you press too hard can cause some lasting damage (c), slipping out the battery holder is much less traumatic.
In your case it was very simple to resync because you had only had a flat battery in the car so the car and key wanted to be in sync anyway, although it does happen spontaneously from time to time, Alfas are funny like that. Often it can take a few dozen ‘resets’ before they get back into sync.
It is also worth remembering that this is what you need to if the key remote suddenly stops working, usually after some work on the car when the battery has been disconnected (or gone flat). If the key is generally temperamental and needs more than one press to work it is not a sync problem, you are more likely to have a damaged circuit which needs looking at.
AO Member
County: -
so what is the correct 'procedure' if the remotes stop working suddenly - is it (a bit odd) sitting in the car and taking battery out / in ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , locking , remote