Bleeding brakes! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
Wave Bleeding brakes!

Following the advice of this forum, I changed the brake fluid on my 2002 156 2.0JTS this morning...

The workshop CD just says to use the special pressure tool to drain all the old fluid out and then to push the new fluid through, but I haven't go the special tool, so I did it the old fashioned way, by pumping the fluid through the system by pressing repeatedly on the brake pedal, with a pipe running from the caliper nipple into a jamjar....

I never actually let air into the system, as I kept refilling the reservoir with new fluid before it completely emptied, however when I had finished, I had an extra 40mm of brake pedal travel that I didn't have before.

The pedal doesn't "pump up", so I can't see that its air in the system (and inded, I didn't let any air into the system, in theory...).

I've been out on a test drive and it seems to stop well and straight enough. Having braked hard a few times to make the ABS kick in, I think that a lot of this excess travel has now gone, but I'm sure that the handbrake has more travel than it used to have and when I bleed either of the rear brakes again or even press hard on the pedal with all nipples closed, I get a "squirting" sound from somewhere in the system that I can't place...

Are there any experts out there who could offer some advice?

The only other factor I didn't mention was that the first time that I bled the back brakes, I did it with the handbrake on. Thinking that this might have contributed to the problem, I then bled them again with the handbrake off and the pedal did seem to get a bit firmer, but not a lot....

2004 Silver Audi A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG (eBay!)

OEM Xenons (retro-fitted), PIAA silicone wipers, integrated Parrott CK3000 bluetooth phone kit, O2 XDA2 PDA/phone with TomTom wired GPS

Ex - 1999 156 1.8TS SP1 (1999-2003) + 2002 156 2.0JTS Turismo (2004-2006) (fell off Snake Pass backwards at 60mph...)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: Bleeding brakes!

Can't help you here but eagerly awaiting a reply from someone that can as I'm doing mine this coming weekend.
AO Member

Member car:

Not sure why you are getting the problem that you are, but the Easy Bleed kits that are available at most motorist type shops quite cheaply help by forcing the fluid through your system using the air pressure in your spare tyre. Makes it really easy and might be worth a try.
AO Silver Member

The old method worked fine for me - you have air in the sytem. Got to use a pipe with a one way valve on the end, putting a pipe with the end in the fluid does not work as you dont expell all the air in the tube with 1 stroke, so it keeps rising and goers up through the system.

Buy one of the easy bleed one way valve kits - still put the end in new fluid just in case though

Make sure you do not over open the bleed nipple, as air gets sucked in around its threads

also do the clutch - dont pump this one at all, just connect the bleed hose, and let gravity do the rest (may need one push to get it going)

Also pump up the brakes before you open any bleed screws, and it is worrying you say yuo didn't let the resevior go empty - it shouyld be kept full! top up after every 3-5 max strokes of the pedal.

As you def have air in it, it will take ages to bleed it all out, and lots of fluid

basically you keep going until NO airbubbles are in the tube

note that as you push the pedal and expel the fluid and air, one stroke does not equate to the tube volume, so any bubbles will 'float' back up the tube - you really need an assistant or to cut the bleed tube shorter

Hold the rear end slide....don't run wide!

156 2.0TS Veloce Lthr (02/02), silver, black Momo, BMC filter,V6 intake, DS2500 Front-DS Perf Rear pads, Conti sportcontacts, OMP strut Brace .

Built in Italy, on the last Friday before (hic) Xmas........:-/
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Originally Posted by Dupes
you really need an assistant
Indeed. You need someone to hold the pedal down, while you close the nipple. Let the assistant pump the pedal a few times, keep presure on the pedal, then you open the nipple, and close it when the pedal reaches the floor. Make sure the assistant keeps telling you exactly what he's doing. IE "pumping", "holding" and when the pedal has reached the "floor". But you probably know the drill. Repeat this procedure on all four wheels until all air have been evacuated.

-- Hoygs

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bleeding , brakes