156 V6 now undriveable - MAF? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 29-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 V6 Veloce

156 V6 now undriveable - MAF?

My 156 V6 has over the past few weeks been developing a fault which has now rendered it undriveable.

It has for the past few months been a bit lazy in the mornings...not pulling away until it has got to about 2500 revs....then accelerates ok..ish, and runs about the country roads fine...until that is I want to overtake....when it decides to cut and hesitate around 4500 revs. When accelerating hard its seems to make all the right noises but doesnt feel as quick as it should.

Plugs were due a change so I started with those, which didnt really make any difference.
During a trip up the motorway the car would start to cut & miss on the slightest of inclines (under greater load)....which I realised I could overcome by dropping it down a gear for a few seconds and then changing back up....this trick worked every time.

Last week when starting off the car would hesitate badly....you could hear what sounded like the throttle valve opening and clanking shut.

Yesterday I changed the Lambda (it had done 120K so thought I ought to) and now the car is even worse!!!!.

I tried cleaning the MAF but that made little difference, and unplugging it to see what effect that had (engine just died). Restarting car with MAF unplugged results in same poor running, with a slightly higher rev version of events when plugged back in.

On starting...the car now sounds like its running on 3, though I suspect its just getting confused and cant make up its mind what to do...with lots of throttle butterfly opening/closing...and thats as good as it gets.

Plugged it into Alfa Diag and having cleared the codes from unplugging the MAF....no new ones appear...even though its clearly not happy.

Tomorrow I will hopefully be trying my mates known good V6 MAF to see if that eliminates the problem. Fingers crossed.

Sorry for the long winded post but some of the symptoms may be familiar, and offer alternatives to the usual suspects.

Many thanks in anticipation

Last edited by v6_rich_c; 29-05-11 at 17:18.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , maf , undriveable