Strange Smell in Cabin... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-05-11 Thread Starter
County: Cheshire
Help Strange Smell in Cabin...

Hi Everyone,

Help needed...

I recently had the misfortune of suffering from the notorious cam belt failure (I have a GT JTD) which unfortunately meant my pride and joy was off the road for several weeks, so with a lot of TLC (and cash!) she is now back on the road and running. I say running, but running now with a strange smell in the cabin...almost like oil or fuel smell? Not sure what it is exactly, or where its coming from? It seems to be more noticeable when the car is idling, sitting at traffic lights/junction etc. The car is otherwise running fine with no loss of power and oil levels appear to be fine, but this intoxicating smell seems to fill the cabin?! The only other thing that I have noticed that is different is that when it is completely cold and (e.g. 1st thing in the morning) it takes a few turns to start, which didn't happen before - which makes me think it may have something to do with fuel??

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions what it might be??

Thanks in advance for your help guys 'n' girls
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Durham

Member car:

VW Tiguan smoker

Simple things to check is their a hole in the exhaust is it worse when the windows are down is thefuel filter on correctly are you using more fuel than normally? Does the aircon turned on affect the smell?
AO Member
County: Hampshire
It does sound like a fuel leak somewhere to me: I'd get it back where the work was done asap...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cabin , smell , strange