W reg Alfa 156 Selespeed Rear Fog Lights not working - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 28-05-11 Thread Starter
County: Devon
W reg Alfa 156 Selespeed Rear Fog Lights not working

Hi Guys,

I am new to Alfa forums, having had a look on the internet this stood out as the best one to join!

As above I have had an issue with my rear fog lights not working at all, this includes the rev counter light symbol and back light. I have done quite a few searches on this scenario as it seems it can be a very common problem on the 156. Basically the car sailed through the MOT apart from the rear foglights which do not work at all. This was very frustrating for me because if it was anything mechanical I would have fixed it the next day and returned for a re-test!

However my electronics skills leave a lot to be desired and am at a dead end with this problem!

Basically I have tested the rear fog light switch/button in the car and this is giving me a healthy reading on the volt meter. The earth to the connection on the back of the rev counter is also fine. Using a power probe I have tested the actual fog light bulbs and connection and they come on. The fuses next to the steering wheel are also fine and all other rear lights are working (although I have had previous intermittant problems with them going out and then miraculously working again!)

So, I purchased a 2nd hand rev counter unit from ebay (as it was guaranteed working) but lo and behold when I plugged it in I still have the same issue, although the 2nd hand unit is worse because the full beam light symbol in the rev counter doesn't light up! I have taken the back of the rev counter(s) off and can see no sign of anything being burnt out so I am a little confused!

So this leads to my actual question after a very long winded approach - Is this just a coincidence and have I purchased another faulty rev counter unit or is there something else that could be wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , fog , lights , rear , reg , selespeed , working