156 knocking and squealing-Help? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
156 knocking and squealing-Help?

Hey guys,

I know there's many threads about noises, but I don't think it's speicific to the problems I've got.

Firstly there is quite a loud knocking in front of me (the driver). Jacking up the wheel it seemed to have a bit of a wobble when you try shake the wheel. Replaced the track rod end but has not made a difference. The knocking happens mainly at low speed, it's pretty loud and it sounds like something is loose. Doesn't happen necessarily over speed humps, but potholes does seem to trigger it as well. What can it be/what can I do to test to see it's definitely another component?

Also, from start, the car 'squeals' (not that loud in cabin but pretty loud from outside). It varies with speed. I know the suspect is probably a belt, but a friend mentioned that it sounded like a worn pulley bearing or maybe even the water pump? If it is an over-tensioned belt, I assume that new tensioners etc need to be bought? (cambelt changed 4000miles ago with new water pump)

Sponsored Links
The knocking could be either your lower suspension arms or you ARB droplinks or both!
Not sure about the squeal though. mine squealed once and it turned out to be something to do with the tensioner/idle pulleys?
AO Member
County: Berkshire
The knocking could also be the ARB Bushes.. The squealing would indicate Aux Drive Belt given that the Timing Belt has been done recently.
County: Down
If the top wishbone ball joint is worn it will knock like mad..

The aux belt tensioner is seized, do a search to find how to remove & free it up..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , knocking , squealinghelp