147 1.6TS Cutting out when driving - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-05-11 Thread Starter
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

Help 147 1.6TS Cutting out when driving

Hi all,

I have read through many threads on engine cut out problems on here, but none of them seem to display the symptoms my wife's car is giving. I am hoping one of the experts out there may be able to help. Bit of history first.

About 6 weeks ago car had a valve replaced, cambelt fitted, etc by the guys at Auto Lusso.
Since then, car has cut out when hot, ran ok again when cool so I fitted a new crank sensor. Car ran fine for 3 days and then cut out again.
Took it over to Auto Lusso, when they checked the ECU, sure enough, there was the old crank sensor error, but nothing to indicate any new faults.
The display is now totally clear, no MCSF or other warnings, yet the car will intermittently cut out. When it dies the message "imobilizer failure" comes up, along with "CODE".
After a period of cranking the car over, it will start and drive fine, although "CODE" sometimes stays in the display.
This is, very intermittent and 7 out of 10 times the car starts and runs with no errors. Its just far too risky to drive as it has packed up on the A14 nr cambridge, which was a nightmare!!
I have checked relays, fuses etc with no success, any ideas would be really appreciated!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

AO Silver Member
County: Merseyside
I had an ingnition switch issue which would cause the car to cut out at some very interesting and hair-rasing moments. Diagnotics only came up with a general fault code. Apparantly it's quite common and to test you should see if there is additional play in the barrel when starting then when running move the key around and see if it cuts out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 16ts , cutting , driving