Intermittent loss of ignition, now loss of fuel supply relay earth - help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 20-05-11 Thread Starter
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0JTS

Intermittent loss of ignition, now loss of fuel supply relay earth - help!

Recently I have had problems whilst driving where i seem to loose the ignition feed to the vehicle electrics temporarily. The radio turns off, the dials drop off and the engine stops firing for 1/2 second or so before recovering - just as if the ignition had been turned off and straight back on again.

Suspecting a dodgy ignition switch i have poked around the ignition connections at the steering column but cannot get it to fail on me whilst im testing it. I have tried the relays around the battery area and although a bit dirty, none of the connections seem loose or replicate the fault during wiggling.

Further to this 'testing' i had all sorts of faults come up when i tried to restart the engine, vdc/abs faults and although cranks ok does not fire up. Battery was left disconnected overnight and the faults cleared but still no start. Fault located to fuel pump relay not getting an earth signal - i believe this comes from the ECU. I have tried an inertia switch reset but still fail to get a good signal to drive the relay. I have cut this feed and given a permanent negative to the coil and it now starts fine. Any ideas? Apart from loosing auto fuel cut off in an accident, is there any other reason why i shouldnt keep the negative connected permanently?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

earth , fuel , ignition , intermittent , loss , relay , supply