Smoking exhaust - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 15-05-11 Thread Starter
Awaiting Email Conf
County: Nottinghamshire
Help Smoking exhaust

Hi all. Just a quick question. I havn't been in the car for a few days and its been raining and im waiting for a new motor for my wipers as they dont work. I had to pop down the road today in it and when i came back and parked up in noticed the exhaust was smoking. I couldn't tell what colour it was as it was getting dark. I put my hand over the end of the exhaust and my hand felt damp. Anyone know what it might be? I have checked the oil and water and they all seem fine. Im just wondering if it being colder and very wet for the last few days that damp as got inside the exhaust or something. I havnt been in the car for a few days untill today and i only went on a mile round trip to the shop. I just get scared as everyone i have asked say head gasket but im not sure it is.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
Na thats just the damp I recon.......
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
condensation naturally forms inside the exhaust. the cat's job is to turn the exhaust gases into water. that and when the car is hot and then left stood condensation will form on the inside of the exhaust, which is why exhausts always rust from inside out.

i honestly wouldn't worry about it.

you will know about it if the head gasget starts to fail as you will end up with mayo around the oil filler cap, oil floating on the coolant in the resivour tank and the water system pressurising and blowing out the filler cap as well as a miss fire and a serious thurst for coolant and big steam out the back.
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Premio
County: Bratislavsky
For every liter of petrol burnt inside the engine approximately a liter of water is is formed and released in the form of steam from the exhaust. And there is a lot of condensation in the cold/"rear" part of the exhaust (that's why they rust from inside out) so you can see water dripping of the tailpipes on some cars.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 16-05-11 Thread Starter
Awaiting Email Conf
County: Nottinghamshire
Thanks alot guys. You put my mind at rest now. Im so glad for this website and the users willing to help people like me. If you were closer to me i'd buy you all a beer

Thanks again all

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

exhaust , smoking