Power steering pipes repair
Had the inevitable leakage from corrosion.. I had always noticed a drip hanging fromp the subframe, but never thought too much about where it was comming from as it wasn't obvious at the time.. Now fixed with a fairly easy repair.
1. Remove bracket, Using a small pipe cutter, cut out the 4" section from each pipe that is corroded and leaking.. cleaned the area with lots of solvent
2. Rough up the ends of the pipe with some coarse grit sand paper, cleaning afterwards with more solvent.
3. Use some high pressure hydraulic hose to fit the 12mm OD pipes, and Mikalor clamps (17-19mm) to secure - 10x better than std jubilee style clamps
4. Wrap some protection around new pipes to prevent scuffing and Secure new pipes in place with enlarged bracket or heavy duty cable ties.
4. Flush the system through with hydrualic fluid (ATF/ATF-II) diluted with 25% White Spirit.
5. Drain and fill with clean fluid.
So far so good. It seems the cooler circuit is on the low pressure side that returns fluid to the reservoir.
total cost about £10
A bit fiddly due to the space and location, but do able in a morning if you have the parts ready.
Any addition ideas welcome.
1.9 JTD M-Jet 16v 140ps.
Gas flowed head, Polished valves, Port matched manifolds, New Turbo.
JS-T primary Decat, MrZ full-bore Center Decat , Oil recirc tank, Big filter conversion.