standard springs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
standard springs

Hi all

could anyone tell me how to find out if i got standard shocks and springs or the sportpack setup?

the car is a 156 2.5 v6 2001 sw

ive got the 16 inch wheels ,black dials ,carbon centre console and side skirts (What trim is this ?)but some say that they dont all come with the sportpack suspension .

i want to change the front shocks for the time being and keep the original springs or would you advise me to change the springs too .

many say the standard alfa springs are too soft which is the main reason for bottoming out and nose dive under hard breaking,is this right ? or is it the crap monroe gas shocks i got on.

im thinking of going for a set of biistien B4 or B6 with s good set of springs , but not lowered .

where can i get these at reasonable cost and do i really need to spend the extra on the B6s if I only want decent handling and a fairly comfy ride .

any replies appreciated .
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Wrexham

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

There are two issues with Alfa’s set up. First is the damping, second is the soft front springs. The damping can be easily addressed with sports Bilstein or Koni dampers. I would go this route first for a road set up. The front soft spring is much more difficult to fix as there are no aftermarket springs available that are just stiffer. Even the lowering kits do not stiffen the spring rates by much. The only way to play with spring rates is to go for a Coil Over Damper kit. I have the Bilstein coil over kit and the springs with them are 3 times stiffer. The only snag with that is it’s too hard for road use. Great on the track, for which they are intended for. Eibach and KW coil overs have softer springs than the Bilstein’s, so look at those if you are thinking of going that route.
AO Member
Eibach pro springs are only about 10mm lower than sportpack and are much better IMO. I've got these on my JTS sportwagon with Bilstein B4 dampers. The ride is smooth and compliant with much reduced dive and body roll. I had the back replaced first (knackered nivomat)while the garage waited for hub bolts for the front. When the front was changed the steering felt sharper and the dive and roll was almost non existant, that was after replacing sportpack front springs and shocks which worked fine. Highly recommended!
The V6 spring rate will be stiffer due to the heavier engine, so i can't promise exactly the same results.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

springs , standard