156 1.9 jtdm Starting Problem: SOLVED! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Thumbs Up 156 1.9 jtdm Starting Problem: SOLVED!

Hello again,

Well, this was my problem, the vacuum actuator, or more to the point, the flap that it is supposed to operate.

If you see my previous thread, I had an intermittent starting problem. The engine would turn over and over but just not start, then it would either just start as if there was no problem or start after a short wait...say, a brew or even just a short walk away with a shed load of swearing etc.

After months of the odd 'no start' at the most inopportune times, I noticed that the flap either moved or didn't move depending on the mood of the car! It was sticking.

No fault codes show up for this.

The flap closes off the air flow to the engine to aid stopping and cut down on vibration when the engine is switched off (so i am told). It was sticking in the closed position and not resetting to 'open'.

I removed the upper turbo hose connection (easily done) to find black, oily 'Kack' all over the flap and its housing. Once cleaned with thinners and a specially adapted wheel cleaning brush...presto! no more sticking.

Although I don't know were the said 'Kack' comes from (any ideas?), the clean up worked.

It has started again now, very occasionally, so I just get under the bonnet, flick the plate up that operates the flap (the one that the actuator is trying to operate), and it starts...first turn.

Have a look at the pictures below and let me know if this helps. Photo 2 is how it should look to start the engine.

If anyone has any more to add, please feel free.

Cheers, Martin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vacuum actuator 1.jpg (13.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg vacuum actuator 2.jpg (16.6 KB, 146 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

Can you describe a bit more about how you cleaned the flap? As far as i understand you took off the hose to clean the flap inside? So you cleaned it just by spraying the cleaner onto the brush and then brushed the dirt away? Do you have to watch out not to move the flap by hand or is it not a big deal?
Sorry if im asking the obvious but mine could also really use a clean and im afraid to screw something up..
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 23-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Hello, Not a big job, just don't let anything fall into the engine past the flap.

You will see that it works on a hinge and is spring loaded, mine was sticking with black oil and carbon deposits.

I took the hose off and used carburetor cleaned and then WD40 to lube things up a bit. I used a small plastic brush and a few cloths to soak up the excess liquid and black gunge that came off the flap and its mechanism and to stop it from running into the top of the engine.

It lasted for about 6 to 8 months then needed another clean but it was nothing like as bad as the first time it needed doing.

Hope this helps and hope you are having a better summer than we are over here!

Cheers, Martin.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , jtdm , problem , solved , starting