166 cenral locking advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
166 cenral locking advice

I am new to the forum and looking at buying my 1st alfa,
It is a 166 but it has a locking problem, apparantly the 2 front doors will not unlock either from the key or from the remote although the back are ok,
has any body any idea about this and any other advice about these cars, it is a 2.0 1999 t reg with 78k on the clock.

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire
Re: 166 cenral locking advice

I guess that its the actuators in the front doors that are knacked. If it's a garage sale try and negotiate a repair before you purchase.

I have had a lot of trouble with my W reg 2l 166, although I don't think the problems are specific to the model and are more related to the way it was driven before I got the car. BUT - check the oil, check the clutch is OK, make sure there are no knocks from the suspension, make sure the engine is running smoothly (it has balancer shafts and should be reasonably refined, apart from the TS bark ). Also, make sure that you have a full service history and that the timing belts, tensioners etc were changed at least at the 72k service and that the spark plugs were changed at 50k.

Hope it's a good one - you WILL enjoy it if it is
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

Re: 166 cenral locking advice

Any further news?

I would also try some other tips:

Does the car lock from the key (either front door)?

Does the car lock/unlock from the dashboard button (just in front of gearstick)

If you open the door by handle from inside (front doors), do all the doors unlock - or just the door you open. Try the same using the door button on the front doors (if you can grip them)

If the above things work, sounds like a wiring fault - repairable, but fiddly & maybe cheap.
If not - sounds expensive repair.

Either way - get it fixed as part of the purchase cost (or buy with a warranty which covers it!!!!)

Mileage doesn't matter with a 166 - check the servicing has been done properly & get an AA report or a friendly mechanic to check it over.

Waiting for an Alfa version of a Maserati Quattroporte

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

166 , advice , cenral , locking