Garage changed Cam without Cam tools - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
another good one is to cut the old belt down the centre and remove one half of it, line up the new belt tooth for tooth and then cut the old belt completely off and push the new one home...
Very clever - Never even thought of that really. Still all this presumes the timing is correct in the first place. As we all know some times belts stretch fractionally. Not much mind but that can knock them out slightly.

Currently I have dialed in more overlap on the exhaust side. But again fractionally.

Good to know different methods. People swear by all the tools but to be honest I am sure you can do it without to a varying degree.

What happens if you had hotter cams? You don't get lock tools then. So you'd have to do it manually.
joeymannero likes this.

Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Western Cape

Member car:

alfa GT

thanks guys. the prob is im from south africa so id have to pay shipping as well. not easy to get the tools locally. btw how is after market parts or should i go with original instead
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
bottom line is, if you plan to keep the car and want to save money on EVERY cam-belt service then buy them.

given that the average cam-belt service is £400 and the parts are only about £100 it's a significant saving in the life time of the car, especially on the petrol engines given the service interval on all the TS engines is 36k

assuming you are handy with the spanners you can handle all of the other stuff as well then the only things you should have to go near a garage for are ''up on the ramp'' stuff, wishbones and clutch for me are the only things I won't tackle.

buy cheap buy twice!
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
If you don't have the tools, how do you know the timing is correct? Changing the belt is the easy bit, ensuring the timing is correct is also part of the job.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cam , changed , garage , tools