Alfa 156 at last - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 at last

Hi folks
My wife finally got me to buy a used 156 after many years of nagging lol.
So i went out last week and bought a 2002 1.8ts with full mot and 3 months warrenty on engine and gearbox and a full service.
Not sure about the model spec as it was advertised as a lusso but insurence says veloce and after lots of searching im still none the wiser.
Anyhoo on the way home from the garage i noticed the gears were not right and it was crunching from 2nd to 3rd so arranged for it to go back to be looked this week.
during the the week it has been leaking oil from the sump plug and when i jacked it up noticed the plug was broken .
Then the central locking stopped working so off to the shop for some new batteries which didnt help and after just fiddling it started working again.
It was advertised with an alarm but i couldnt get this to work at all.
When the wife took it to the garage for the work to be done the locking stopped again so she told them how unhappy she was .
Now it is sorted with a replacement gearbox,new sump plug and they apparently reset the locking and keys,not sure why but they disconnected the car battery so maybe thats all they did to solve the problem.
Was told the car does not have an alarm so im a bit miffed
but and this is the funny thing im not bothered as ive fallen for this car and im affraid i think im hooked, what a beauty,drives fantastic and looks great.
So touch wood i'll have a few good miles in her before she lets me down as i dont want to go back to a mondeo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car.jpg (32.6 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
daniel wiley
i have owned 4 mondeos and the alfa is in a different league isnt it. the beauty of an alfa is that you dont mind throwing money at it whereas a mondeo it just feels wasted. i wish you many happy miles of motoring. I thought that all 156's were fitted with a factory alarm but i cant verify this as mine came with a toad alarm.

(owned for one month and loving it)
AO Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 sw / gtv

You won't be disappointed, doesn't take long before it gets under your skin, fantastic cars.
AO Member
Don't know about the earlier ones, but facelift ones have Thatcham Cat 1 alarm immobiliser IIRC.
AO Silver Member
County: Essex
my first was a gorgeous black 156 2.0 TS with red Alfa stamped leather.. it cost me an arm & a leg to keep on the road but i loved it. The now legendary suspension let me down, but i still loved it. Now, after a break and a Mondeo (reliable but not fun) and a Volvo T4 (fast, reliable but not fun) I'm back to the Alfisti with a GT 1.9 JTD. Love the Alfa's and so pleased to have one again. Enjoy your 156! great car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa